Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    "Ringer": polls #1 and #2
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Ringer": polls #1 and #2 Login/Join

Picture of wordcrafter
posted

Question:
We understand the concept of a ringer in sports. If an 11-year old golfer misrepresents his age to enter a tournament for boys 10 and under, he has an unfair advantage, and he is a ringer.

But I'd like your input on a usage question that arose while preparing a future theme. The dictionary definitions seem to be to be a bit off. Without consulting a dictionary, take a look at the two cases listed below, and two more listed here. In which of them would you say that there's a ringer?

#1: Athletes who use certain steroids are barred from the Olympics. A steroid-user participates anyway, hoping to hide his use. Is he a ringer?

#2: Boys from various nearby towns compete in football. Each town's team is supposed to be composed solely of boys who live in that town. But one team puts on its roster a skilled player who lives elsewhere. Is he a ringer?

Choices:
Yes, in each case
No, in each case
Yes to #1; No to #2
No to #1; Yes to #2

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I don't think that taking steroids makes you a "ringer." It is just illegal.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Graham Nice
posted Hide Post
I don't know the age-related meaning of the word. A ringer is somebody you have in your team pretending to be a member when they aren't.

Posts: 382 | Location: CambridgeReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Michael Quinion's World Wide Words site has an article on etymology of this word. Unfortunately he is rather imprecise on its current meaning.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post