Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Making faces Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
There was an interesting editorial in the Chicago Tribune today about the Elmhurst City Council throwing a lobbyist out of a public meeting for rolling her eyes!
quote:
Now the city attorney has been directed to research the legal definitions of disorderly conduct and disruptive behavior (we're shaking our heads here), with an eye to drafting an ordinance to curb non-verbal outbursts. His work should begin and end with state law, which defines disorderly conduct as "an act in such unreasonable manner as to alarm or disturb another, or to provoke a breach of the peace."

Where do you draw that line? (Eyes uplifted, palms outstretched, as if beseeching the heavens.) Menacing others, throwing objects and setting fire to the dais are clearly out of line. But is it disorderly to yawn, fidget, smirk or scowl? To circle an ear with an index finger to signify "cuckoo"? To feign a self-induced upchuck, as we're doing now?
What do our communication-loving friends here think of this?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm circling an ear.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I'm holding my nose!

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I'm scratching my...
Oh,no...wait that has nothing to do with this post, does it?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm nodding my head! I Am Not A Lawyer, but I think this normal for trials and court proceedings, at least.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It's certainly normal for any meeting I've ever attended. And doubled in spades for conference calls! Since the others can't see you, often there is much nonverbal communication.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post