Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gossip Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
My boss & I have a disagreement--so I will ask you.

Internally, people are complaining about their bosses, other departments, the organizational structure, and each other. My boss calls that "gossiping". I think of gossip as being much worse--spreading rumors. I think the staff is merely complaining (or maybe there is a better word?)

Looking up "gossip": the first definitions support my view: "Rumor or talk of a personal, sensational, or intimate nature". Even though there are definitions of "chatty" or "idle talk", they still don't seem to apply to my boss's use of the word. BTW, evidently "gossip" in England also can mean "Godparent", according to one source?

Who is right?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
In short, I am right. I am always right. It's a family trait. I got it from my father who was always right as well except for one time when he mistakenly thought he was wrong but then it turned out that he was right. You were right to come to me, Kalleh. Even when I'm wrong, I'm right.

And before all the rest of you jump all over me, I'm just kidding!

To me, much of what you describe is not gossip. Here's the breakdown:

"The boss is often late to work." = a reasonable work-related observation and, as such, not gossip.

"The boss is often late to work since he's having an affair." = same as the above but more juicily phrased. Still not gossip as long as the focus remains on the lateness.

"The boss has been kidnapped by aliens who are attmpting to mate him with Elvis and sell the babies." Well, there you've crossed the line into the cesspool world which is gossip although, if this turns out to be true, it would well explain why the boss has been running a bit late recently.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C J Strolin:
In short, I am right. I am always right. It's a family trait. I got it from my father who was always right as well except for one time when he mistakenly thought he was wrong but then it turned out that he was right. You were right to come to me, Kalleh. Even when I'm wrong, I'm right.

C.J. I'd like to congratulate you on your deep and sincere self-effacing modesty. Such a refreshing trait in a colonial. wink

Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

Read all about my travels around the world here.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Kalleh, it simply sounds like bonding behavior, or normal office politics, not dreaded gossip!

I'm reminded of the two secretaries who were discussing their boss. Quoth one, "The boss dresses so nicely, and looks so handsome in the tie I gave him." The other replied, "Yes, he does dress well, and quickly, too!"

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Funny, Asa!

Okay, people, now I am really confused. I looked up the etymology of "gossip" in Oxford's Etymology and found that it comes from godsibb, meaning godfather. It defined "gossip" as a "sponsor at baptism" or "familiar acquaintance", though it then goes on to say "idle talk". However, now I am curious as to when, and how, this word changed meanings. Anybody? Also, those of you in England, do you call a godparent a gossip?

posted Hide Post
quote:
...do you call a godparent a gossip?

It depends upon what they say about me behind my back! wink

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I heard the following story from a fellow logophile:
"All the children born in a given year would be baptised at one ceremony. They became "God's siblings". Since they all knew each other, later in life they would naturally swap rumors and tell tales = gossip."

Fellow Brits, do they call Godparents "gossips" in England?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Okay, my dear British friends, have I insulted you? If so, I sincerely apologize.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
According to the OED "gossip" did have an earlier meaning of Godparent, from the old English "godsibb", a person related to one in God.

I have never heard it used.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
"godsibb", a person related to one
Thus an etymology similar to "sibling," I presume?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much, Richard. Yes, my AHD said the same.
Yes, Asa, that is precisely right.

posted Hide Post
This from Etymology On-line, which I highly recommend:

sibling - 1903, modern revival (in anthropology) of O.E. sibling "relative, kinsman," from sibb (adj.) "kinship, relationship" (1500; surviving as sib, chiefly in Scottish), from P.Gmc. *sebjo. Related to the second element in gossip

gossip - O.E. godsibb "godparent," from God + sibb "relative," of unknown origin. Extended in M.E. to "any familiar acquaintance," later (1566) to "anyone engaging in familiar or idle talk." Sense extended 1811 to "trifling talk, groundless rumor."