Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apostrophes again Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
Over at the APS someone has posted [URL=http://people.whitman.edu/~hashimiy/apost.htm ]this link[/URL] to a good article about apostrophes. I thought I'd take the liberty of reproducing it here. It's thought provoking stuff and worth a look.

Non curo ! Si metrum no habet, non est poema.

Read all about my travels around the world here.
Read even more of my travel writing and poems on my weblog.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Graham Nice
posted Hide Post
After a sluggish hiatus, both the aps and fota boards are looking quite good at the moment (albeit very familiar).

Posts: 382 | Location: CambridgeReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
From the article:
quote:
For conscience' sake she confessed her lie.
Do Americans actually use this clumsy construction? Brits would use "For conscience's sake she confessed her lie".

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Do Americans actually use this clumsy construction? Brits would use "For conscience's
sake she confessed her lie".
----------------------------------------

American's are mo'st likely to u'se apo'strophe's anywhere they find an "S" in a 'sentence, but not where there isn't one. Razz

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"For conscience's sake she confessed her lie"

I suspect most would express it as
"For the sake of her conscience, she confessed her lie"
thereby avoiding the controversy altogether.

[This message was edited by haberdasher on Fri May 2nd, 2003 at 14:07.]

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do Americans actually use this clumsy construction?
Not the educated ones, arnie. Were this my student's phrase, I'd send it back. By the way, I am reviewing a doctoral dissertation now--phew! She is comma, apostrophe, capital-lettered, etc. challenged! FrownAnd, she is proposing to receive a PhD from a fairly good institution. My dilemma (yes, I know we've discussed this word before!) is that her scientific work is stellar.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Don't you mean, "...where there isnt one..."?

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Don't you mean, "...where there isnt one..."?

Sorry, RE, mea culpa! I should have said, "...where there i'snt one." Confused

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Okay, here is an example of a sentence in that doctoral dissertation proposal referred to above:

"The third semantic problem is the problem under study being identified as tracheal suctioning."

Now, I can tell you from a scientific perspective, "tracheal suctioning" is not a semantic problem. What she evidently is referring to is that it can be accomplished by different methods.

As I have said previously on this board, we in the U.S. need to do a better job of teaching people to write!

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by haberdasher:
I suspect most would express it as
_"For the sake of her conscience, she confessed her lie"_
thereby avoiding the controversy altogether.

Of course, the easiest way to avoid the clumsy construction would be to not confess the lie in the first place. This would, sadly enough, probably be the choice of most people in general, not just Americans.

Sidenote: I had originally written "...most people in general, Americans, non-Americans, and others." as an intentional error for humorous effect (what "others"?) but then recalled other disastrous results of my baiting you good people in the past. See? I am trying to improve.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
So glad to find an apostrophe thread open! Wink An ad for a beauty salon:

"Hilite's and Blow Dry for $60!"

posted Hide Post
I must be older than you are. You're fretting over the slovenliness of the apostrophe. I still can't get past the sloth implicit in "Hilites. I want it to be Highlights.

Dollars to doughnuts (donut's?) most people don't care any more. More's the pity.

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
No I care. Before I posted this, I told Shufitz that the ad had two errors. He told me that it is perfectly acceptable to write "hilites". Shuftitz may have been wrong once in his life...but only once! Wink So, I gave up on that aspect. Glad you agree with me, haberdasher!

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Well, I've gotta side with Shufitz on this one - "hilites" is acceptable.

It comes from Hilites (pronounced huh-LEE-tess) the Greek Goddess of Chemically Treated Hair.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post