Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

'Hood' and 'hoodie' Login/Join

posted
From The Scotsman:
    hoodie: noun. 1: a hooded sweatshirt. 2: a teenage thug, usually found wearing a hooded sweatshirt. (Etymology: from hood as in a "covering")

By a curious etymological coincidence, American gangsters have long been referred to as "hoods", a contraction of "hoodlum". But this has nothing to do with covering the head. The word "hoodlum" first originated in print in San Francisco in the 1870s, also referring to criminal or antisocial gangs. However, no-one really knows the origin of the term. The most sensible explanation is that it comes from the Bavarian German huddellump, meaning "ragamuffin". I prefer the story that it is Muldoon backwards, after the leader of the original gang, but a printer's error changed noodlum into hoodlum.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
The hoods in my 'hood all seem to wear hoodies when it's not blisteringly hot (like it's been lately). This time of year they just wear long white or pink (the new red) t-shirts, sometimes with red peeking out from the edges.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I always thought that "hoods" (the gangsters) got the name because they covered their faces with their hoods so they couldn't been seen.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
The online Etymology Dict says:
quote:
hoodlum Look up hoodlum at Dictionary.com
1871, Amer.Eng. (first in ref. to San Francisco) "young street rowdy, loafer," later (1877) "young criminal, gangster," of unknown origin, though newspapers have printed myriad stories concocted to account for it. A guess perhaps better than average is that it is from Ger. dial. (Bavarian) Huddellump "ragamuffin."

But I always thought it was from "neighborhood"

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Here in Oregon there's a brand of peanuts called "Hoody." Rowdy peanuts? Maybe they sell to Wankers Corners. Eek

Reply With QuoteReport This Post