Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

sovereign citizens Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I read an article today about "sovereign citizens," which were defined as anti-government extremists who argue they are not subject to local, state or federal laws, and some even refuse to recognize the authority of courts or police. I could not find the article (from the Chicago Tribune) in Google.

Have you heard this expression? To me, it seems like an odd definition...and unrelated to the common definition of "sovereign."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Here's what Wikipedia has to say on the Sovereign citizen movement.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Individual sovereignty isn't a new concept. Chaucer wrote about it. http://www.online-literature.c...owthread.php?t=23673

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6172 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
"Sovereign citizens" also make their own license plates since they don't recognize the states' right to make them register cars. Some also claim that any indictment they may acquire is not legal since they spell their name "John Q.: Smith" or something like that. The colon makes them safe from the law, they say, and a court cannot use their name on any legal papers with the punctuation in place. Loony.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I expect the IRS lands them up the river making license plates for others..

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Making license plates without a license?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, arnie's link is a whole lot different from Geoff's. I think this is a somewhat, anyway, new use of the phrase.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post