Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

At bay Login/Join

posted
I can't find the origin of the above term. While "bay" has several definitions, only one seems to be connected with "at bay." Who can fill me in on it?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6172 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Offhand, I think it refers to hunting dogs baying (barking) at prey animals which they have cornered (at bay).

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Yes, the 'dog' reference seems to be the correct origin. See http://english.stackexchange.c...and-origin-of-at-bay

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had thought that the baying of dogs was the weaker idea, but it seems it's the real one.
I had thought that since a geographic bay has three sides, it would be the right one - the sense of being cornered thereby arising. Thanks, you two!

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
arnie, you have the best sites! I love that site.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
An alternative: at bay Pig Latin for a small flying mammal. What are you praising Arnie for? I'm the one that got it right.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, you know me. I am always praising arnie. Wink Seriously, I think arnie has the best word related Blogs and Web sites.

posted Hide Post
Yeahbuttttt... Proof did answer first! They're both super good, IMHO!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Agreed, Geoff. I was only talking about the site arnie linked to.