Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What us it? Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
During the president's visit to Japan I've heard several commentators use various pronunciations for one city he saw. So what is it -- He-RO-shim-ah or he-ro-SHE-ma?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think both pronunciations are used.

The first pronunciation more closely approximates the Japanese pronunciation to me, but Japanese stress is very different from English stress. Both pronunciations might sound foreign to a Japanese speaker.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Good question, Proof. I was thinking the same thing. I had always pronounced it the second way, but now I am hearing it the first way more often.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Yesterday om the news, I saw part of a Memorial Day presentation at a local cematery. One speaker unfortunately had a thick New England accent. Thus his "They fought for you..." came out as "They fart for you..."

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Those New Englanders are confusing about their "r's". They don't like them here: "Park the car in Harvard yard" Yet, they add it here: "idea" becomes "idear."

<Proofreader>
posted
Here is a newscaster (listen to the man first, then the woman who follows) giving a pronunciation for a state name I've never heard before.

One local TV station persists in calling the village of Pascoag "Pasco'" Yet they call another site Apponaug (with a hard"g") and not Apponah.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Do you mean the pronunciation of Hawaii?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
Here is a newscaster (listen to the man first, then the woman who follows) giving a pronunciation for a state name I've never heard before.

That's the normal pronunciation in Hawaiʻi.

<Proofreader>
posted
Yes. The man says Ha WAH ee, the woman ha VAY ee.

posted Hide Post
In Hawaiian there is free variation between /w/ and /v/. Both pronunciations are used in Hawaiʻi.

<Proofreader>
posted
Another questiomable word surfaced today.

posted Hide Post
Doughnut for me. I see "donut" as "do-nut." I do nut like that lazy spelling.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Don't tell Dunkin...

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Don't tell Dunkin...

According to the article, it seems likely that they invented that spelling. At least, it started to be used at about the same time they were founded.

Until fairly recently branches of Dunkin Donuts were about the only places that spelling was seen over here; now it is quite common, but the "doughnut" spelling is still seen the most.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
If I want a really good doughnut (my dad used ot have a place near him with warm, homemade doughnuts - mmmm!), I think of it spelled that way. If I want a cheap, commercialized donut, I think of it spelled that way.