Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Morning mouth" Login/Join

posted

Question:
Have you heard of the term 'morning mouth'? I'd thought it was common, but upon looking it up it seems that there are fewer than 5,000 google hits, some of them irrelevant.

I'm phrasing the poll to test for regional differences.

Choices:
I'm not from the US; have heard it.
I'm not from the US; haven't head it.
I'm from the US; have heard it.
I'm from the US; haven't heard it.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I've never headr of it but I would suspect it has something to do with the after-effects of drinking Dudweiser, Swiller, Curse or Muckalot.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...No, wait a minute; what I was thinking of is "morning breath." Is that the same thing, for purposes of this question? If pressed, I would say Morning Breath is halitosis and the reason people brush their teeth in the morning (what, you thought it was to prevent cavities? You silly person.) I have much more the flavor - if that's the right word to use here - of dryness, fuzzy tongue, overindulgence and hangover with Morning Mouth.

Clarification, please?

Posts: 6271 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
... Dudweiser, Swiller, Curse or Muckalot.

Afterthought: Yes, yes, and yes, but what did you mean by Muckalot?

AAT: Oh. --lobe. I withdraw the question.

Posts: 6271 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
No, I call "morning mouth" that feeling when you wake up and need to brush your teeth. I wouldn't call it "morning breath."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Graham Nice
posted Hide Post
Do you mean bison breath?

Posts: 382 | Location: CambridgeReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always wondered about those movies where the lovers have spent the night together and wake up in the morning all smiles and kisses. My mouth feels like a dragon did obscene things in there all night, and the last thing I would do is inflict that on someone I loved.

Posts: 915 | Location: IowaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Well, sure, one's breath can be really beastly in the morning. . . . but . . . but . . .

I call it Morning Breath. Never heard of Morning Mouth, but knew just what it was.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
If I remember correcly, both "halitosis" and "Morning Mouth" were coined by the mouthwash industry to promote their products. And there was also the slogan, "Don't broadcast bad breath!"

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i use 'death-breath' (something crawled into my mouth and died) and 'bird cage mouth' more than 'morning-mouth' (or derivatives). but i have heard of it. what's my prize?

beans

Posts: 129 | Location: AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've never headr of it but I would suspect it has something to do with the after-effects of drinking Dudweiser, Swiller, Curse or Muckalot.

Richard English

that's the cure...

beans

posted Hide Post
It's a logical extension of the ubiquitous(USA) morning breath. It is slightly less accurate, as the breath is what smells, but accuracy is not really necessary, and you immediately know what it means.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
that's the cure...

Only if your morning mouth has been caused by Fosters, Castlemaine, VB or any one of Australia's several Budweiser clones.

Stick to Cooper's, that's my advice.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Odd that you should assume that Australians observe American brewing traditions, Richard. And yes, the Cooper family have been making the best brew in Oz since the Governor said, 'This pioneering is thirsty work.'

Oh; what were you doing in Oz, and how did you get past customs?

beans

posted Hide Post
quote:
Odd that you should assume that Australians observe American brewing traditions

Sadly Australia, like most of the rest of the world, brews most of its beer in the same way as do the US mega-brewers. The light lager style was originally invented in Pilsen and it was adopted with great enthusiasm by Anheuser Busch who named their brew "Budweiser" after the Czech Budweis.

Although there is nothing wrong with the style - and there are many fine examples such as the Budweiser brewed by the Czech Budvar company - A-B and the other mega-breweries adulterated and cheapened the style and, through very clever marketing managed to convince most of the world's drinkers that beer is always a cold, yellow fizzy liquid. They did this because the beer they make is also very cheap to produce, very stable, with a long cellar life and needing little skill to store and serve. This adds up to lots of profit for the brewers and the re-sellers alike. Only in the UK did the tradition of cask-conditioned beer survive and only in Czechoslovakia and Germany did the Pilsner style remain unsullied by the distusting additives and cheap grains (such as rice) that the mega-brewers use with such abandon. So the Australian brewers, like most of the world's brewers, jumped on the high-profit bandwagon of Pilsner type beers, as modified for profitability by A-B. Since A-B has, for many years, been the world's largest brewer, its influence has spread throughout most of the world. Even in England, where we have a wonderful range of different beers, the evil marketing techniques of A-B had made theirs the most popular bottled beer in England!

All countries believe their beers are special and different - but most are so similar that a blind tasting would not usually reveal any difference. I am not saying this from an emotive or Anglosphile perspective; I have drunk many countries' beers, both here and in the countries themselves, and without exception the natives are all proud of their beer - and without exception the beer is scarcely any different from anyone else's. In Barbados I tried all the different varieties of Banks's beer - and each was cold, yellow, fizzy and almost tasteless - alhtough, to be fair, their premium bottled beer had a little more strength and flavour than did the "draught".

Only those who have drunk good beers can appreciate the truth of what I am saying and those Australians who have drunk Cooper's must surely be counted amongst their number. I just wish that Australia, like the USA, would start to explore the wonders of fine beers and throw off the shackles of the mega-brewers fizzy rubbish. Australia's original beers were not Pilsner-style; they were British-style, as was the case in all of our colonies. Sadly most have now adopted A-B style beers that they genuinely believe are their true brewing heritage.

quote:
Oh; what were you doing in Oz, and how did you get past customs?

I was there in 1986 (in Surfers Paradise) and again in 2000 (in Cairns) both times for the ABTA convention. And customs and immigration are generally happy to allow people in the travel business in as they know we can generate incoming tourism business for their country. The 1986 convention gave Surfers a tremendous boost and UK travellers, traditionally visiting Australia as VFR (visiting friends and relatives) travellers started to visit as holidaymakers.

Richard English

posted Hide Post
I haven't heard the phrase before but I certainly knew what you meant. I find it gets worse as I get older and nowadays I just HAVE to brush my teeth as soon as I get up or I just can't face the day.

quote:
Originally posted by jo:
I've always wondered about those movies where the lovers have spent the night together and wake up in the morning all smiles and kisses.

Of course, that can be made even worse depending on exactly what you were doing the night before Wink

Posts: 291 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Richard,

Something that my grandfather once said may be of interest to you. In the early days of the colony of South Australia, the terrain and consistently warm-to-hot weather prohibited the brewing of cellar aged beers and ales. Imported beers and ales were sought after liquids as the local brews were always very young. I expect that paints a more vivid picture for you than it does for me. I'll spare both of us the picture of his recollections on the subject of subsequent yeast infections!

posted Hide Post
It's a little-known fact that the British invented "morning mouth," that particularly foul taste that greets us when we awaken in the morning. Millions of British bacteria have been working overtime throughout the night to produce this particular phenomenon.

Now researchers from King's College London have discovered another class of bactreria in the mouth, methylotrophs, that live off methylated sulfur compounds that result from the breakdown of sulfur-containing amino acids. Previously the researchers had found methylotrophic bacteria on the feet, living off sulfur derivatives that cause foot odours. How did the bacteria get from the feet to the mouth? Could this be a case of foot-in-mouth syndrome?

The researchers suspect that those who suffer from bad breath may have lower levels of methylotrophic bacteria in the mouth than those who have no halitosis problem. This suggests the intriguing possibility that mouthwashes and toothpastes may be formulated to enhance the activity of methylotrophs, thus fighting bad breath. And while they're at it, maybe they can do something about foot odour, too.

Tinman

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tinman,

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
fascinating!

Avon sells a foot powder that kills the bacteria that causes foot odor. It's a fabulous product for the summer months (ok, all year round for me) when I prefer to go w/o socks.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Great article, Tinman! I surely didn't know that. The things you learn on Wordcraft! Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post