Find
Notify
Tools

What say you? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I'd like your opinion on the sic below:
quote:
"Why 2013 is shaping up to be the worst year for woman's (sic) health in modern history."
Once I hear from you, I'll let you know my opinion.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Which woman? I suppose it would be better as "women's health". Or is it intended as some sort of abstract woman? Perhaps a capital W might work if that's what is meant.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, I am sure that's why the sic. It was by a columnist whom I consider to be smarmy, snarky and less than brilliant. So clearly I am biased. However, my take on it was that the "a" was understood. I realize it's usually "women's health," but I think it could also be "a woman's health."

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Without full context, it's difficult to say, but I'd suggest it would normally be women's health. That is, the health of women. If the writer were talking about a particular (unnamed, for some reason) woman I'd agree, Kalleh, but I don't think so. The only other construction is the use of woman as some sort of archetype (with or without a capital letter as I mentioned earlier), rather like in the feminist anthem by Helen Reddy "I am Woman". In that case no article would be used.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah, well, I guess I am just biased then. I dislike the author, Jonah Goldberg. I wanted to write a response, but I guess I'd be wrong.