Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    repair to the dining room...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

repair to the dining room... Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I had only known "repair" to mean "to fix" or "to renew." Yet, I read an article this morning where the woman was going to "repair to her porch."

I looked it up, and sure enough there is a definition that says:

To betake oneself; go: repair to the dining room.
To go frequently or habitually: repairs to the restaurant every week.

Have you seen it used that way?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I've sertainly seen it used in that way plenty of times. It is rather old-fashioned, if not archaic. I doubt that anyone would use it in conversation these days unless they were deliberately trying to sound old-fashioned.

It's rather like someone talking about the "withdrawing room" in their house.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
I agree with arnie. Though I've heard it. In American English it has a quaint, old-fashioned flavor to it. Like asking the gentlemen to retire to the library for port and cigars after a fancy dinner.

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How do the two senses relate?

Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
Two different words of different origins: to repair 'to restore' < Old French reparer < Latin reparo 'to get, acquire, or procure again; to recover, retrieve; to restore, repair, renew' (reparare) and to repair 'to betake oneself, to go' < Old French repairer < Late Latin repatrio 'to return to one's country' (i.e., to repatriate).

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
For some reason I've heard it quite a bit. Maybe we're still in the eightenth century here in Oregon. Or is it the eighth? Roll Eyes

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
It's used still in England by old-fashioned or pedantic people (which is why I sometimes use it).

If I felt so inclined, I might well say, "Let us repair to a local hostelry" when I'm with another pedant (such as Oscar) knowing full well that he would appreciate the deliberate and accurate use of an uncommon term.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Funny, because this use was in an advice column (similar to Dear Abby) in our local newspaper. I wouldn't have expected a pedantic term there.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
As has been mentioned more than once, there are several words in common use in the USA that have become uncommon or even obselete in the UK.

Gotten is one example (and I am sad it's gone from UK English since we have no comfortable alternative). Maybe repair in the sense we are discussing is actually more common in some parts of the US than in the UK.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Maybe repair in the sense we are discussing is actually more common in some parts of the US than in the UK.

Maybe in some parts, but not around here. I had never heard it used that way before.