Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A bone to pick ;) Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
In view of our shared interest in words, beer and food, I'm disappointed in you Brits for not bringing to our attention a term that combines the subjects dear to our hearts. Wink I had to learn of it from an article, in today's local paper, which began thus:
    Gastropub, the funny word Brits use to describe pubs serving upscale, casual food, sounds like a cross between a less-than-sexy medical specialty and a neighborhood beer joint. Perhaps that's why the term – a melding of the words "gastronomy" and "pub" – is having trouble sticking on this side of the pond, despite the growth of local taverns serving better beer with better food.

The gastropub trend started in the early 1900s in London when young chefs began buying old pubs and serving elevated fare designed to go with the beer. … The term "gastropub," however, was … coined in the mid-'90s by a London magazine.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
People like the journalists in newspapers and magazines sometimes use it, but I doubt that it's used much in the 'real world'.

It sounds rather like something that might be served in such an establishment: a gastropod. Wink

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
The Wikipedia article is under the heading of "British Cuisine", which strikes me as an oxymoron. Wink

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Wow, I found over 400,000 sites for this word on Google, and it will become common here in the U.S. soon, I am sure. Here is an example of its "Americanized" use here.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote: it will become common here in the U.S. soon, I am sure.

Google-news give 46 news hits in the last month, but the UK hits are artificially inflated by recent news that gastropubs are causing the demise of the dear old game of darts, and of Prince Charles' rush to the rescue. The breakdown is:
    12 UK dart-related
    12 other UK,
    9 NY City metropolitan area
    13 rest of the US
    1 Canada
In these dart stories, I picked up a nice new word:
oche: the line behind which darts players stand when throwing
    "Darts may not be glamorous, but it's worth defending the oche as it gets smothered by the spread of the gastropub."
    Guardian Unlimited, March 9, 2007

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oche is an interesting word, wordnerd. It seems to be only in the COED of the online dictionaries, besides the specialty ones, like Worthless Word for the Day, and such. The COED says it perhaps comes from the Old French word ocher, meaning to ‘cut a notch in’.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oche is an interesting word

Indeed. Without wanting to appear elitist, I also suspect that that most darts players, if asked to spell the word, would suggest 'O-C-K-E-Y'. Wink

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gastropub sounds like a condition for which one takes Mylanta or Tums.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Actually gastropub sounds like the ISV (i.e., Greco-Latinate) word for stomach inn.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
As Arnie said, the term "gastropub" is primarily used by the media or sometimes by those kinds of pubs themselves as a promotional device. I consider it a rather pompous and unnecessary term.

Here, if we wanted to know the whereabouts of a pub that served especially good food, we would probably ask simply for that, "...Is there a pub near here that does decent food...?" To ask for the location of the nearest "gastropub" would certainly give rise to a quizzical expression or even a look of blank incomprehension.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Richard is absolutely right and I think he'd probably agree with me that most of us would run a mile to get away from anywhere calling itself a "gastropub". What that word says to me is that the owner has delusions of grandeur and that the food is likely to be small portions of overpriced and over-fancy food served in an establishment where they'd rather sell me wine than beer (though most likely with a couply of poorly kept and insanely priced real ales on as well just so they can claim to be "traditional" - something they most certainly are not.)

The word is no more than a modern publicist's invention.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote: I also suspect that that most darts players, if asked to spell the word [oche], would suggest 'O-C-K-E-Y'. Wink

Would the word be generally known?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
What that word says to me is that the owner has delusions of grandeur and that the food is likely to be small portions of overpriced and over-fancy food served in an establishment where they'd rather sell me wine than beer (though most likely with a couply of poorly kept and insanely priced real ales on as well just so they can claim to be "traditional" - something they most certainly are not.)

Funny, because the word itself sounds rather clinical to me and certainly not "over-fancy."