Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bugging out Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I heard the term "bugging out" being used on a TV show, but I wasn't certain what it meant by the context. I looked it up, but it was only in Urban Dictionary, which I don't much trust. As usual, they had a bunch of definitions, but this was the first one:
quote:
(1)To preform an action, or display a behavior that contradicts your normal persona.(2)To unintentionally act like your under the influence of a hallucenogenic drug while sober.(3)Conduct unbecoming of a person of sound mind and body.(4)Brief mental impairment.
Have you heard of the phrase? If so, do these definitions jive with your definition?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
The only times I've ever heard it, it meant to hastily depart. I recall it from some episodes of MASH where the North Koreans were advancing and the unit had to bug out to a safer location.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
As Bob said, I too associate it with, "To the rear, CHARGE!!!" The term was used more than once on M*A*S*H*. It was commonly used that way in the 1970s, but with a less urgent connotation.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6172 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The OED says

quote:
slang (chiefly U.S.).
intr. To get out; to leave quickly; to ‘scram’.
1953 E. Partridge Dict. Slang Suppl. (1961) 1304/2 If one were to ‘swan’ southward with the purpose of moving on from the enemy, the act would be called ‘bugging out’.

I guess the "act abnormally" or "act like you're tripping" meaning is more recent.

Buggin' Out is the name of a character in Do the Right Thing.

posted Hide Post
Buggin Out by Space Travelers - not safe for work!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am surprised it is the OED and not other dictionaries.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
It appears in several - see OneLook. Several only give the "bulge outward" (as with eyes) meaning.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
"Bug out" could be the slogan for an exterminator.

While MASH mentioned the term often, it was apparently part of Army terminology during the Korean War, and was still extant while I was in the service during the early '60s. It was less 'to move away from an advancing enemy" and more "to leave an area hurriedly for any reason".

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
It appears in several

I see what I did - I only put "bugging out" in; that's how I'd seen it. Thanks, arnie.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

<Proofreader>
posted
According to MW, "bug out' (flee from battle in panic) was first cited in 1950, which would be consistent with the Korean conflict. However, I saw a video yesterday about the Battle of the Bulge (1944) in which an officer relates how he was told by a soldier that "everyone was bugging out" because of the German attack. I don't know if the soldier actually used those words or if, at the later date, the officer was paraphrasing.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Very interesting, Proof. It's possible they were using that phrase then. Shu used to volunteer for the OED in looking for the origin of words, and he often found that there were earlier citations that those cited in the OED.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Can't say I've used this one in a few decades, but in my day, 'Guess I'll bug out' was equivalent to , 'Well, I'm outta here'

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
There was not only the verb "bug out" but it was also a noun "a bug-out," the process of leaving hurriedly.