Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beautiful/handsome Login/Join

posted
I was just wondering today why it was that we invariably refer to women as being 'beautiful' and men as being 'handsome'. Have these words always been gendered and if so, why? If the words never originally had such gendered interpretations, when did it change and why?

Posts: 291 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
And yet, cute can be either gender, but it is a vastly different opinion as to what classifies as cute!

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dictionary dates 'beautiful' from 1526 but the definition makes no reference to gender at all. It is merely something that is pleasing to the senses and surely that could be used to describe either male or female. The earliest reference to 'handsome' that I can find is 1530 but while there seems to be a greater variety of meanings, it still isn't specific to one particular gender.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Now, Doad always referring to his comprehensive dictionary...that is definitely cute to me. Wink

Interesting question, Doad. Also, you would say a "handsome" dog or cat, though I have heard "beautiful" used for animals. Yet, I haven't ever heard of a beautiful man, and a pretty man (or boy) is really a slur or an insult. I don't know why.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm often thrown by the way women can respond to something. I never would have associated my references to my dictionary as being 'cute' but who am I to stand in the way of such an accolade Cool

I think the word 'pretty' has such a powerfully feminine association that to call a man 'pretty' would imply that he is less masculine than he should be and I suppose the same could be said of 'beautiful'. Men can have extremely fragile egos but I suppose that the women on this board already know that of course.

I've always thought that the word 'beautiful' implies something that is considerably better looking than 'handsome'. To me 'handsome' seems to suggest that something or someone is good looking but not attractive enough to be beautiful though I admit that this may be conditioned by my natural inclination to find women attractive but not men.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Men can have extremely fragile egos

Is it being fragile, or is it homophobia?

~Dalai Lama

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
CW, I would say "fragile" because it is present in other situations, too.

posted Hide Post
I can see your point CW but I don't think it's a matter of homophobia. Society seems to have certain expectations of what it is to be a 'man' and it is these criteria that men feel the need to meet. Perhaps it is true that homosexual men are less affected by these expectations but it is the expectations themselves rather than sexual orientation that drives our fragile egos. If you consider a male icon such as Sean Connery or Harrison Ford, men can admire their 'rugged' good looks and general demeanor but you could never call them 'pretty'. If you could, they would probably cease to have the same role to play in films and society in general. Sometimes it can be difficult to define exactly what being a 'man' is, especially these days when the role of men in society is changing so much.

posted Hide Post
Perhaps we should stop trying to define / pigeon-hole ourselves and just be.

Posts: 669 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Excellent points, K, D and C.

I think Cat is the most profound, but I think that is the hardest thing to do. I don't find it hard to be non-judgemental when I'm thinking about others as much as I find it difficult to be as easy-going when trying to figure out where I fit into society. I think many of us are this way.

~Dalai Lama

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:

Yet, I haven't ever heard of a beautiful man, and a pretty man (or boy) is really a slur or an insult. I don't know why.

I actually have heard a woman refer to her man as "beautiful." I assumed she was referring to his personality or emotional attributes more than to his physical appearance.

Posts: 235 | Location: Portland, OregonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think Cat is the most profound,

Gosh, just once in my life I'd like to hear that I am profound. It seems like such a compliment to me!

Sunflower, after I posted that, Shu and I decided that, yes, sometimes men are referred to as "beautiful." I have seen a few beautiful male tushes in my life! Wink

Interesting. When I look up the etymology of "beauty," here is what I find: "c.1275, from Anglo-Norm. beute, from O.Fr. bealte, earlier beltet, from V.L. bellitatem 'state of being handsome'..." Heh! Heh! Men never knew that when we've called them handsome, we were really calling them beauties! Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Kalleh - I think you've been profound . . . I just can't find a specific quote at the moment. I'll watch for it.

No one has said it in this thread, yet, so I'll mention it. I keep thinking of the tshirt saying that was quoted on another thread recently. "Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder."

~Dalai Lama

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
state of being handsome'..." Heh! Heh! Men never knew that when we've called them handsome, we were really calling them beauties! Wink

Yeahbut... That was recently written, not an old text! I see "handsome" as meaning "useful," and useful things are attractive. Does not the "hand" part suggest utility? And "utility" suggests "tool-using," as in the French, "outile," "tool," or the English "utility".

Reply With QuoteReport This Post