Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The two crack test Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Have any of you heard of the two crack test? If not, take a guess. If so, how have you seen it used?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Never. OK, but I'll guess:

If somebody can listen to two wisecracks without cracking a smile, they have passed the two-crack test and are officially a grump!

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I've nver heard of it either. Perhaps if someone can hear another person cracking his finger joints without cringing he's superhuman?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
And I thought they were talking about cocaine! Big Grin

Any other guesses before I unveil the phrase? Or perhaps some of you have heard of it? Maybe it's generational? I was clueless, but when you find out what it means, it will bring on a smile. Were I to have given you the context, of course, you'd have guessed it.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Never heard of it.

Possible guesses (none of which is even remotely likely)

1. walking along without treading on cracks in the pavement-tread on two and you lose

2. having two chances at doing something (two cracks of the whip)

3. buying boxes of eggs-if two are cracked, buy a different box (I see people in the supermarket all the time changing eggs over from box to box to make up a box of six uncracked ones)

4 something that's far too crude to post on an erudite site like this one

5 (a bit of topical satire) the test Railtrack apply to see if the points are OK, up to two cracks and they don't bother to fix them unless a train derails.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, those are good, Bob.

How about a few more?

Picture of stella
posted Hide Post
Anyone else from an earthquake zone? See two cracks - run like hell!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
We have a few from California here, and that's in an earthquake zone. I think the St. Louis area is, too; that's where CJ lives.

Anyway...I will have to give you all a hint I guess. This will make it easy:

The phrase was used by somebody talking about the unprofessional dress of nurses these days, and this was the test that some places have instituted. That should give it away!

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
quote:
this was the test that some places have instituted....

Are those places "equal-opportunity" employers, employing male nurses too ???

just checking

Earthquakes?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jerry thomas,

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it would have to be women - with low-slung shirts (first crack) and low-hanging pants (second crack)! We have many parent volunteers (moms) guilty of this... Hilarious...

Posts: 3737 | Location: Georgia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before Kalleh's suggestion, I thought something like the butt crack and cleavage, but felt too bashful.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know if it's right or not, but I like KHC's definition.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, KHC is right on. Apparently that is the test for appropriate dress for nurses. And, no, Jerry, it doesn't consider both genders. Still, about 92% of nurses are female, so it works for most. Wink

I have a colleague who would most definitely fail this test!

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Astonishingly, I have colleagues who would fail this test as well. Those wild Librarians! Many of my customers would fail as well . . . and not just girls.

I would also suggest that perhaps it's not just low-slung pants, but also very short skirts which can reveal the lower set of cracks.

Is this somehow related to scrotums again? <evil grin>

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a colleague who would most definitely fail this test!

What is the criterion for failure? Showing or not showing?

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How do I go about applying to be the test administrator?

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Richard, it all depends, doesn't it? Wink

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
How do I go about applying to be the test administrator?

I would imagine it would take intensive one-on-one training.

~Dalai Lama

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, I am very sorry to say that I failed the 2-crack test today...at least one portion of it. Eek

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Woohoo! Go Kalleh! Which part failed?

~Dalai Lama

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, at my age (which we won't discuss!) let's just say the lower crack wouldn't be a pretty sight! Wink It was my top, which a colleague pointed out to me. I hadn't realized it really. I had a nice necklace on and was sick of all the winter sweaters and turtlenecks and was trying to get into spring. I guess I went too far! When I realized it, I couldn't help but think of this thread. [Always thinking of Wordcraft!]

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Kalleh: I am very sorry to say that I failed the 2-crack test today

I'm not sorry in the least!

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am embarassed by the wierd trivia that fills my mind. E.g., the name of the lower "crack" is the intragluteal notch.

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
quote:
the intragluteal notch.
Interesting. As in understand it,
intra- means 'within' (one thing), but(t)
inter- means 'between' (two things).

On that basis, I'd have expected it to be the intergluteal notch.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, interesting point. I do believe the word is "intergluteal," and, as you can see, another term for it is "internatal." I saw the "crack" called "notch," "sulcus" and "cleft."

"Intragluteal" would be within the gluteus muscle, such as an intragluteal abcess that might occur after an intramuscular injection.

posted Hide Post
When taking the two crack test, what is a passing grade: to have one or zero cracks showing but not two?

I'm reminded of the old rule on evening dress for women: you show your legs or you show your bosom, but you don't show both.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, this was pertaining to professional nurses, on the job, so passing the test meant zero cracks. However, normally, I'd say one is preferable. Wink

Welcome to Wordcraft, Wally! Check your PMs.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm reminded of the old rule on evening dress for women: you show your legs or you show your bosom, but you don't show both.

A rule generally disregarded by supermodels and their ilk. (By the way, how do supermodels differ from ordinary models, apart from their receiving greater media attention?)

And welcome, Wally.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
how do supermodels differ from ordinary models
More money, more tantrums, more publicity.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
quote:
how do supermodels differ from ordinary models
More money, more tantrums, more publicity.

No more talent, then.

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Is there any talent in being a model?

posted Hide Post
Only a talent for self-promotion, I would suggest.

Richard English

posted Hide Post
I don't know if it can be classed as "talent" or not, but since some individuals seem to have a certain "something" that draws attention or interest - over other folks, the French phrase "I don't know what" seems to fit.

Bob

Posts: 56 | Location: Santa Clara County, CAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
some individuals seem to have a certain "something" that draws attention or interest - over other folks, the French phrase "I don't know what" seems to fit.

That's probably what most people think, wondering why "celebrities" who seem able to do no more than many other people could do - and often do it less capably.

But what we don't know about is the massive self-promotion that most of them do: the letters they write; the emails they send; the telephone calls they make; the networking they do; the introductions they follow up; the favours they grant to decision-makers. As Mae West is supposed to have said (although of whom, I don't know) "She's the kind of girl who climbed the ladder of success wrong by wrong"

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I think BobK has a point, though. Model or not, some people just have that appeal; what is the French word?

posted Hide Post
quote:
I think BobK has a point, though. Model or not, some people just have that appeal; what is the French word?

"Je ne sais quoi" (I don't know what)

And I surely don't know what it is that many of the so-called celebrities have: it's rarely looks, talent or intelligence.

Richard English

posted Hide Post
Getting back to the crack test (I didn't read far enough back the first time)....

The Limelighters sang of an aspiring actress (this was in the 1960's) named Vikki Dugan who "wore a dress cut so low in the back as to reveal a new cleavage".

In the song, this was referred to as a "callipygian cleft". Nice sentiment, eh?

Live updates as events occur, Film at 11!

Bob

Posts: 56 | Location: Santa Clara County, CAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I love callipygian cleft! I will definitely use that in the future as I have a colleague who continually shows hers. Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
quote:
(By the way, how do supermodels differ from ordinary models, apart from their receiving greater media attention?)

Most models are not known by name. A model became a "supermodel" when she received name recognition.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
One of my favourite threads in this forum was the 'Pleasingly Plump' thread from five years ago. "Callipygian" is mentioned several times in the thread.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arnie,

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
callipygian cleft

An overlarge one would presumably be referred to as a steatopygian slot. Wink

Picture of stella
posted Hide Post
Homingpygian:
Buttocks that are trained to return home?

Carrierpygian:
Buttocks that are trained to carry messages? (these ones would need a pygianhole) Big Grin

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
One of my favourite threads in this forum was the 'Pleasingly Plump' thread from five years ago. "Callipygian" is mentioned several times in the thread.

In which CJS made his Wordcraft debut!

Just checked out the pronunciation of callipygous, as I had never heard the word spoken, and was surprised to hear the Merriam-Webster robovoice say "call-eh-PIE-gous", when I had been reading it as "cal-LIP-eh-gous."

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by wordmatic:

In which CJS made his Wordcraft debut!

REALLY??? I think he was around from waaaay back, but had a computer glitch that forced him to return under a new name.

I'm reminded of the women who wear duck dresses. So short that if they bend over you can see their quack.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think he was around from waaaay back
He was; that thread is from 19 July 2002. CJ registered on 20 July that year. That's just a couple of days after the board started. I joined around then, too.

The computer glitch happened in 2004 and CJ re-registered as Chris J. Strolin on 22 March 2004.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arnie,

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, that pleasingly plump thread was fun; but my favorite thread was Morgan's "Wives" thread. I wonder whatever happened to FatStan.