Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Satrapies Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Satrapies is a new word for me, though I am sure it's not for most of you. I see from OED online that it comes from the Book of Daniel, coming from satrap, a governor of a province in ancient Persia.

I saw it being used to describe the former Soviet satrapies that surround Russia. Is it commonly used, and I have just missed it? It's used to mean ruler?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
While I recognized it from Satrap, I had never seen it. Makes sense, though.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aput
posted Hide Post
I can't swear to this, but I think I've seen it around in the modern political sense for some while.

As a child I learned 'satrap' from Xenophon; I remember this because someone else expressed surprise at it and said they knew it as one of the evil hench-lords in 'The Man from UNCLE'. So that's going back a bit.

Posts: 502 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
'Satrap' is not one I'd come across before so there's at least two of us. Part of its history seemes to relate to 'A governor of a province under the ancient Persian monarchy' and as such has come to refer to a subordinate ruler with somewhat tyrannical powers. Hence you can be either a 'satrapal' or a 'satrapess'.

Posts: 291 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
From Latin satraps < Greek < Old Persian khshathrapāvā 'protector of the province' (khshathra-, 'realm, province' + pāvā 'protector'. Kshatria 'princely' is one of the four traditional varnas (lit. 'colors') castes (actually a categorization of castes) of Hindu ritual purity, along with Brahman 'priestly', Vaisya 'merchant', and Sudra 'untouchable' (now called Harijan after a euphemism coined by Gandhi. It's also related to the English words shah and check(mate) also from the Persian.

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aput:
As a child I learned 'satrap' from Xenophon.
Fascinating. You must have had quite a childhood. Could you expand on this, please?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jheem: ... Old Persian pāvā 'protector'.
Odd question here.
I recall that the surname of the last Shah of Iran was Reza Palavi. In there any connection?

Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
I recall that the surname of the last Shah of Iran was Reza Palavi. In there any connection?

I don't think so, but I'll check.

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
aput, this "Man from Uncle?" Was the show seen in the UK too? I remember that my mother just loved that show.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Kalleh,

That's the one. (Were there any others?) It was a spoof of the James Bond books/films. Good fun!

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
arnie, the reason I asked was because "Man from Uncle" was American, and I doubted that it ever was shown in England. However, I guess I was wrong!