Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Adultery not moving with the times
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adultery not moving with the times Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
Although same sex marriages are now legal it seems that, under UK law at least, adultery hasn't kept up with the times. UK law defines adultery as sex with a person of the opposite sex who is not the person you are married to so sex with someone of the same sex cannot be adultery and is NOT grounds for divorce though I suppose you might argue that it's unreasonable behaviour which is grounds for divorce. Bizarrely, this definition still applies if you are in a same sex marriage.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suppose that if you've said traditional wedding vows adultery is a contractual violation.

I'm reminded of the silly question, "If adultery's illegal, what does that make infancy?"

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Seems very odd that you can marry someone of the same sex but you can't commit adultery with someone of the same sex because, somehow, it doesn't count. I believe it varies from state to state on America.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
That is odd, Bob. I haven't heard much about "adultery" any more, have you Geoff? I wonder if it is even used as grounds for divorce these days. I mean, you can get a divorce for many reasons.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post