Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    homogenous vs. homogeneous
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

homogenous vs. homogeneous Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Is there a difference between "homogenous" and "homogeneous?" If not, why the two spellings?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Is there a difference between "homogenous" and "homogeneous?" If not, why the two spellings?

Troublesome Words says

Homogenous normally should be confined to biological contexts, where it describes organisms having common ancestry. Homegeneous describes things that are consistent and uniform.

Why should I let the toad work
Squat on my life ?
Can't I use my wit as a pitchfork
And drive the brute off ?
Read all about my travels around the world here.
Read even more of my travel writing and poems on my weblog.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
So the two are heterogenous? Confused

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I guess so, Asa.

Dictionary.com, in one definition (not all), does mention that "homogenous" is applied to plants and animals, while the definition was more general for "homogeneous", as Bob indicates.

However, for "heterogenous" it says that it is a variant of "heterogeneous," and the latter is described as "consisting of different elements or parts."

So, we see a slight distinction between "homogenous" and "homogeneous"; is that not the case with "heterogenous" and "heterogeneous."

[This message was edited by Kalleh on Sat Dec 13th, 2003 at 19:21.]

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post