Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Words from pre-scientific revolution
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Words from pre-scientific revolution Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
In the "wroughten" thread I asked how many words such as "disaster" and "humo(u)r" are still in common use that pre-date modern scientific understanding. What others come to mind?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Heck of a good question. Unfortunately, I can't figure out any systematic way to search the mental files.

'Humo(u)r' brings to mind several of the specific humo(u)rs: bilious, phlegmatic, melancholy and choleric. And as long as we're talking about body, we can add such things as heartfelt, doubtless many others pertaining to the heart.

But surely there are far more words (and subcategories) of the sort Asa describes.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Not sure this is what you mean, but computer jargon has all sort of things taken over from pre-digital days and given new meaning. My favorite: file, now a named location in memory containing data usually entered by the user. Files used to be folders containing documents, like letters, but before the term was applied to the cardboard folder holding the information it referred to the silk thread that held the contained documents together (in those pre-paperclip and pre-straight-pin days of yore). From the Latin filum 'thread'.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:

But surely there are far more words (and subcategories) of the sort Asa describes.

Zmjezhd's example fits nicely, since you've described a "thread" with "subcategories!"

Another word I just thought of is "hysteria." Women aren't crazy because they have a uterus, as the ancients thought - they are crazy because they're drawn to us men! Big Grin And as regards hysteria we've already discussed the development of the vibrator elsewhere... Eek

posted Hide Post
We've learned here that halcyon and auspicious each trace to birds as omens.

posted Hide Post
Phlogiston!

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I wonder how many people realise that the "cc" that appears in email rubrics that denote the names of those to whom you wish to send a copy of the email, actually means "carbon copy". A hangover from the days when we used typewiters and carbon paper.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I always wonder when "dialing" a number on the ole cellphone where the dials gone.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
'Atom' comes from the original idea that it was the building block of the universe; it was thought to be the smallest indivisible unit. The name come from the Greek atomos "uncut" via Latin and reflects this supposed indivisibility.

Of course, we now know that there are many much tinier particles, and physicists are still discovering even tinier ones.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the note of atomos(from Democritus, I believe), I read an interesting essay by Asimov. If instead of calling the four elements earth, water, wind, and fire, they had used solid, liquid, gas, and energy, they would have been remarkably close to describing the universe. What Democritus described sketchily was very different from what we know as atoms, but because the names are the same, he seems clairvoyant.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Asa Lovejoy, to start this thread:
I asked how many words words such as "disaster" and "humo(u)r" are still in common use that pre-date modern scientific understanding. What others come to mind?
Another one has just come to mind, reminding me of this antique thread.

toadstool [for "mushroom":] Toads themselves were regarded as very poisonous, and this word is popularly restricted to inedible or poisonous fungi, as opposed to mushrooms (e.g. toad-cheese, a poisonous fungi).

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Lunacy/lunatic fit in here too. However, I've heard arguments that there is some influence on people by the lunar cycle.

Now how come being moonstruck isn't the opposite of suffering sunstroke?