Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hip 'n Stitch? Login/Join

posted
An article posted on another list was about a gentleman who had his wallet returned after being stolen some 40 years ago. The article ended with the sentence, "It's not every hip 'n stitch that you get a 40 year old treasure back." Anybody know what on earth "hip 'n stitch" is?

Posts: 915 | Location: IowaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Google turns up nothing of use. Was there anything in the article you could use to contact the author?

Posts: 43 | Location: Redditch UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
hip 'n stitch

I put "hip and stitch" in Google and came up with one site. However, it seems to be a knitting term and doesn't seem to fit.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suspect it is a colloquialism perhaps even particular to the individual.

posted Hide Post
It sounds like he is using a colloquial term meaning "pickpocketting".

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do believe you are right. That makes sense. Thank you.

posted Hide Post
Jo......Read the "hip and stitch" article .....when it came out...I Said to myself..what the heck does that mean?..Plugged the phase into a search engine...Your discussion popped up...Thats how I landed At Wordcraft... Smile

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, Goofball, you are right. There are 81 ghits for "hip 'n stitch," and Wordcraft is on top. Interesting...and we are so glad to have you!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Having found the article online at http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05294/592595.stm I have been able to see the phrase in context.

I wonder, could it be an attempted pun on happenstance?

The final sentence would then read "It's not every happenstance that someone finds the wallet they lost 40 years ago."

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
The speaker, Mr. Gibson, seems to use colorful colloquialisms. He says he wanted to give the thief a "$200 butt-whuppin."

Mr. Gibson has no phone listing, so I've sent off an e-mail to the reporter who wrote the article. Further information as events warrant.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder, could it be an attempted pun on happenstance?

Maybe the reporter had never heard the word happenstance and thought he said hip'n'stitch. Kind of like when my home town paper reported that the high school seniors on a class trip to New York saw the Broadway musical Lame Is Rob .

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post