Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Top of a boneless chicken breast?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Top of a boneless chicken breast? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I was following a Parmesan chicken recipe, which called for putting the Parmesan mixture on "top" of the boneless breast, and then baking the chicken. The first few times I made it, I covered both sides with the mixture. Tonight, Shu said it means only the side facing upwards. I thought "top" meant both sides because aren't they both the top of the breast? Now, if the bone was still in, I'd get it.

Anyway, Shu was clearly right. It was much better tonight than in the past. I suppose everyone here agrees with Shu?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure I can keep abreast of this fowl tale, but I think Shu is correct.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I love the boneless chicken ranch! Big Grin

Oh, yes. Shu was right, for sure. Perhaps it is my literalism?

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Purely in a spirit of idle curiosity what would you have done if the recipe said "oil the bottom of the chicken breast"?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Big Grin Big Grin I miss Far Side!

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
I thought "top" meant both sides because aren't they both the top of the breast? Now, if the bone was still in, I'd get it.
Kalleh, I like the way your mind works. Don't change! (But maybe start using youtube for recipes...)

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bethree5:
I miss Far Side!
Despite the plethora of imitations, his were the best! Gary Larson and Calvin and Hobbes creator Bill Watterson quit while they were at the top of their game, which makes sense in a way - but I miss them both!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
(But maybe start using youtube for recipes...)

I think you are right. Wink I definitely feel like Amelia Bedelia some days.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Kidding aside, that instruction was weird. What is the top of a boneless breast: is it like the sound of one hand clapping? Most recipes don’t jibe w/the way my mind works either. I almost always end up studying them for a while, re-writing them “my way” into my recipes folder, then amending after first trial.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Well if we are getting serious ... it would never occur to me that top meant anything other than the part facing upwards in the oven.

posted Hide Post
Speaking of boneless chickens, I hope this is true! https://nerdist.com/article/ga...nHOlbn2gSSEJ1SfzdOQQ

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
that instruction was weird.

Thank you! And, Bob, when you are getting the chicken ready for the oven, which side is the top? I agree, Bethree, that it is a weird instruction.

That is great, Geoff!

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Whichever side you put face up. I am completely failing to see the problem here.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Again - it is likely my literalism problem. I am sure you are right.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
So - it happened again tonight, and I realized, there really is a legitimate "top" to a chicken breast!

posted Hide Post
Ah, the ambiguities of trying to agree on directions with a two-dimensional representation of a three-dimensional object. There's top as in "toward the head" and top as "toward the front." Medicine avoids this by distinguishing up/height as "superior (caudal)" from up/front as "anterior (ventral)".

Posts: 6266 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah, you are right. I'd say they were referring to the anterior (ventral) side.