Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    A question for those (even) more knowledgeable than me
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A question for those (even) more knowledgeable than me Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
While on the OEDILF today a random limerick popped up on "antipassive voice".

I am vaguely aware that such a thing exists in some languages without really being able to describe it, but the limerick - especially the author's note - gives the impression that it exists in English.
Does it?
Can the antipassive voice actually be said to exist in a language that doesn't case-mark subject and object?

The limerick suggests that
I eat the pie. is Active
The pie is eaten. is Passive
and
I eat from the pie. is Antipassive.

Any opinions from those who know even more about grammar than I do, because I'd have bet my thesaurus that this didn't exist in English?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I'd never heard of it so I took a look in Wikipedia. The article says that most languages with the antipassive voice are Australian Aboriginal or Native American languages. The page also gives an example from Basque. There's no mention of it occurring in English. The example sentence might seem to fit the requirements for the antipassive, but English doesn't have an ablative case.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
The antipassive voice is only found (as arnie hinted) in ergative languages. Ergative languages are different from nominative-accusative languages. In ergative languages the Subject of an intransitive verb is in the same case as the object of a transitive verb. N-A languages have active and passive voices and ergative-absolutive languages have antipassive voice. I do not think the limerick works.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's called antipassive because it demotes the patient, while the passive demotes the agent.

The passive in English:

quote:
a. Joe-subj kicks the ball-obj.

b. The ball-subj is kicked (by Joe).

The patient (the ball) becomes the subject and the agent (Joe) is demoted to a by-phrase or deleted.

The antipassive in Chukchi:

quote:

a.
ʔaaček-a kimitʔ-ən ne-nlʔetet-ən

youth-erg load-abs 3pl.subj-carry-aor.3sg.obj

‘The young men carried away the/a load.’ (trans)

b.
ʔaaček-ət ine-nlʔetet-gʔe-t kimitʔ-e

youth-abs antip-carry-aor.3sg.subj-pl load-instr

‘The young men carried away the/a load.’ (anti)

The agent (the young men) becomes absolutive, and the patient (the load) is demoted to instrumental. So both the active and the antipassive sentences have the same English translation. I don't know if you can delete the patient in Chukchi, but if you can then the English literal translation of the antipassive sentence without the patient would be the ungrammatical "*The young men carried away."

"I eat from the pie" is supposed to be an approximation of what the antipassive does. The patient (the pie) is demoted. But this is cheating since "eat" can be intransitive. That's not what happens with the antipassive. AIUI the antipassive (and the passive) operates on transitive-only verbs. (Although now that I think about it, in Hindi intransitive verbs can be made passive.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goofy,

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
As I thought. In a language structured as English is structured the anti-passive not only doesn't exist but can't exist.

I'm not especially concerned about the limerick, but I was curuios about thee antipassive.

Thank you all.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Anti-Passive! It’s Like a Passive for Ergative Languages!.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
That's wordpress.
Can't see it.
One of the less pleasant things about living in China.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Too bad, Bob, because it's excellent. Thanks, arnie, and how timely!

For the record, here is the limerick, and it has been approved (five workshoppers approved it, making it approved by their rules):
quote:
There are voices inside of my head.
"I hear voices," the Active Voice said.
Passive: "Voices are heard."
Antipassive demurred —
"Well I hear, but hear from them instead."

The note: In grammar, the antipassive voice is the least known of the verb voices, after active and passive. It removes the absolute object of transitive verbs (in the above example, the active "I hear voices"), and replaces it with a complementary phrase ("I hear from voices"), softening the verb's strength or valency in the same way that the passive voice does ("Voices are heard by me").
As an aside, I have only heard the noun patient to be used in medical topics. It's an interesting use of patient.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
And, I am sure that there a peevers writing in ergative languages that deprecate the use of the antipassive in formal writing.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Bob, I think you should notify the workshop of this. He could just add an explanation to the author's note.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post