Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Pandal" Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
I stumbled across this while doing some reseach prompted by missann's hoi polloi post.
    Four huge pandals had been erected, one for the VIPs, two for the hoi polloi and the last one for party workers.
pandal: (in India) a temporary shed, esp. one used for public meetings

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
In that link there was reference to a panda car, which is apparently a British term for a small patrol car used by the police. Is this a common phrase in England?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's still quite common, although probably less so than a few years ago. Panda cars were/are usually painted black and white, hence the name.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shufitz:
I stumbled across this while doing some reseach prompted by missann's hoi polloi post.
    Four huge pandals had been erected, one for the VIPs, two for the hoi polloi and the last one for party workers.
pandal: (in India) a temporary shed, esp. one used for public meetings

I am very impressed that you look at The Telegraph, Calcutta. Such breadth of reading! But as previously discussed here, it should not refer to the hoi polloi. The the is redundant.

My pandal is not a temporary shed, but a permanent shed to which I temporarily retreat in fear of yet further instruction and correction from my wife (known here, after Horace Rumpole's missus as: She who must be obeyed.

Posts: 424 | Location: Yorkshire, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am very impressed that you look at The Telegraph, Calcutta.
< blush > All credit to Google.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post