Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Humphrey Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
My e-mail pen pal Paul in Gloucestershire, in discussing British politics, referred to a "Humphrey" or several "Humphries," as being the real power brokers of British politics. Not wanting to appear as ignorant as I am, I didn't query him, choosing to ask you British here, who already know the depth of my ignorance! Who are these people?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
A high-up civil servant.

In the excellent '80s BBC TV sitcom Yes Minister and its sequel Yes Prime Minister the Permanent Secretary (head of the department) is Sir Humphrey Appleby.

The minister (later prime minister), Jim Hacker, is a politician who starts out with reforming ideas but ends up disillusioned. Pretty well everything he does is politely, almost invisibly, frustrated by Sir Humphrey, who is anxious to maintain the status quo.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
To what Arnie has written I would add that the main point of the series is (and there are many who claim that it is an accurate reflection of British politics) that MPs, ministers and even the Prime Minister have little power, and that the country is really run by the permanent civil servants.

Whicu I suspect would be true of most democracies.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
The only British Humphrey, or in this case Humphry I was aware of was the chemist surnamed Davy. Thanks for the enlightenment.

<Proofreader>
posted
What about Humphrey Dumphrey?

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Ah, yes, the eggsistentialist philosopher.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Watch out! Watch out! There's a Humphrey about!

(Old UK commmercial for milk.) Smile

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
As shown here.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post