Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remedial remedies? Login/Join

posted
After seeing the term, "remedial" recently, I began to wonder why people with an inability to learn were sent to "remedial education" classes. Is there a remedy for lack of cognitive skill, or is this a euphamism that was coined early on, before euphamisms took over educational jargon? Kind of like "penitentary?"

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I always thought remedial education meant that the student didn't learn the background necessary for mastering the educational content. I haven't thought of it being applied to those who don't have the ability to learn. Clearly it wouldn't be appropriate for that context.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
From A-H Dictionary (link): "Intended to correct or improve deficient skills in a specific subject: remedial reading." I'd think that folks with an inability to learn wouldn't be sent to school but some other institution. Remedial education was for people who lacked some basic skills for learning, but were capable of being educated. I don't think of it as a euphemism, but then I don't think of most things that get categorized as such by many as that either.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I don't think of it as a euphemism either.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post