Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Incumbent Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Have you ever heard the word incumbent to mean entry-level professionals. I study new graduate nurses and I've never heard it used that way. Also, the dictionary doesn't support it, I don't think. The online dictionaries have definitions like "the holder of an office or post" or "one who occupies a particular position or place." A newly licensed nurse doesn't fit those definitions.

The word was used in a manuscript I read, referring to new graduate nurses. The authors used the term 13 times in the paper, so it clearly was intentional. Here is an example: "A study was conducted to analyze practices surrounding entry-level incumbents. It sounded so strange to me. There are so many other terms for new graduates in the literature, such as newly licensed nurses, novice nurses, new nurses, new graduates or entry-level nurses.

What are your thoughts?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think they got the wrong word.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
They are using it as a synonym for post-holder or job-holder I assume.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It seems like the wrong word to me. I suppose job holder could be right, but the concept was a newly hired nurse and not a job holder per se.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post