Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    conceptual frames with words
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

conceptual frames with words Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
There was an interesting commentary in the Chicago Tribune today about political works. The author (George Lakoff, a professor of cognitive science and linguistics at the University of California, Berkeley) wrote about political words. He said that Charles Fillmore, a linguist, discovered that words only make sense within certain conceptual frames, or the mental structures that determine how we understand the world. Here is what fascinated me:
quote:
When we hear political language, particular circuitry is activated in our brains. The more often we hear the words, the stronger that circuitry gets, until the frames become embedded in our thinking.
I wonder if that is why, at least in the U.S., we have such dedication to one party or the other. That has always been strange to me. So many would not vote for a Republican ever...and vice versa. Is this part of the reason, do you think?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I'm not convinced.
I suspect that it's the other way round, that the entrenched nature of many people's views influences the language used rather the language influencing the views.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I agree with Bob. It seems too far fetched for me.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
My father was a lifetime Labour party supporter. He did, eventually, go as far as refusing to vote at all because he felt Blair had destroyed the Labour party. Nothing on Earth would have persuaded him to vote any other way.
I don't think the political rhetoric influenced him as I doubt he ever listened to it. Labour was just the party that, as he was growing up, working class people voted for. People were seen, in his circumstances at least, as class traitors if they voted Conservative.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
conceptual frames

Professor Lakoff has been working on conceptual frames for nearly a decade now. Earlier he did research on metaphors, and before that on categorization. I don't know about circuitry going off in our heads when we hear political language (I think it goes off pretty near with all kinds of language), but I do like the idea that once you've accepted your opponent's framing of the subject for argument, you've pretty much lost, because you've accepted so many of the preconceptions of the the frame and its vocabulary.

[Edited after reading the rest of the article.]

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Here is someone who tries to frame Republican ideas so even committed Democrats would have difficulty arguing against what he espouses.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zmježd:
conceptual frames

Professor Lakoff has been working on conceptual frames for nearly a decade now. Earlier he did research on metaphors, and before that on categorization. I don't know about circuitry going off in our heads when we hear political language (I think it goes off pretty near with all kinds of language), but I do like the idea that once you've accepted your opponent's framing of the subject for argument, you've pretty much lost, because you've accepted so many of the preconceptions of the the frame and its vocabulary.

I agree, and I find the study very interesting. What I was disagreeing with was the idea that this may contribute towards people's entrenched dedication to single parties.
I think that happens regardless of the language issues.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
You are probably right, Bob. My idea was too simplistic. I think much is involved (as with your father, Bob) with one's political views. It amazes me when I think of mine. My views have turned 180 degrees from when I was a child, where my mother, particularly, was a raving Republican. These days she probably would have been a tea party-er.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post