Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Strange Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Someone called me "strange" today, and I began to wonder about the word. Now, surely we know the meaning referring to "foreign." But, what about the meaning when it refers to people? Is being "strange" a big insult, as I took it? Or, does it mean "out of the ordinary; unusual or striking" as the online AHD says? Or, does it completely depend on the context?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I'd never call you strange, Kalleh! Smile

It mostly depends on context. I don't really think it's usually meant as an insult to call someone strange; after all, there are plenty of better insults in the English language.

It can often just mean "unfamiliar". For instance if you go somewhere that is new to you, when asking for directions, you might start by saying that the town is strange to you. You don't mean the town is weird, simply you don't know your way around it.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I feel that it's based on context. Most of the time when I'm referred to as strange (and it's pretty often!) it's meant as "unusual," not "weird." Can you remember the context?

I'm reminded of a greeting card I was once sent that read: "Ours is a strange and wonderful relationship: I'm wonderful and you're strange!" In that sense, it was clearly a light-hearted put-down. Smile

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Can you remember the context?
Well, to be honest, by context I believe the person meant "odd" or "weird." I thought about the word and then realized, aren't we all odd in most ways? I mean, no one wants to be a clone of another. Yet, "weird" has a different connotation...more negative.

Anyway, I am trying hard to make lemonade out of this lemon! Wink

Picture of Chris J. Strolin
posted Hide Post
When you're strange...
Faces come outa the rain!
When you're strange.
No one remembers your name,
When you're strange,
When you're strange...

Ah, they don't write 'em like that any more!

posted Hide Post
Well, I think everyone on this board is a bit strange. This discussion reminds me of something my son used to say when he was in elementary school (about 26 or 27 years ago): "Look who's calling me weird, a woman with a beard". I have no idea where he picked that up.

A few years ago a little boy and a little girl were playing out in front of my house. When they caught sight of me, the little boy took off, and the girl yelled after him, "Come back, Richard", then turned to me and said, "He thinks you're weird". I said, "Well, I am", to which she replied, "Yeah, well--I know you!"

So don't worry, Kalleh. Everybody's a little bit weird. That's what makes them interesting.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Everybody's a little bit weird. That's what makes them interesting
Thanks, Tinman. That is very similar to what I told him, actually. I cited all the people we know in common and I think most of them are strange, in their own unique, wonderful way.

I now have a completely different view of that word "strange."

posted Hide Post
For all my adult life I've actually found it a compliment when someone calls me weird or odd (and believe me, it happens rather a lot). After all, who wants to be run-of-the-mill? Smile

Posts: 669 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post