Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sport Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
On one of the model airplane boards I frequent, there was a discussion of whether model building is a hobby or a sport. Some said a sport must have a ball in it. Some said there has to be an element of danger to it. Some said sport much have competition. My own take is that sport is a sublimation of war, but then there's the archaic term for a whore, "sporting girl," so I don't know. What's a sport to you?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
"Any activity or experience that gives enjoyment or recreation; pastime; diversion."

So you see, sport, that model ariplanes can be considered a sport (especially if tiny machine guns mounted on them can be used to strafe the assemblage viewing the sport).

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
That's always an interesting question. I think of sports on two levels. On one level it's a game, though I don't think you need a ball. Hockey, for example, doesn't have a ball. But there are also sports like fishing that aren't games, but they are sports. I'd maybe see flying the planes as the sport, though building the models as a hobby.

I definitely could be swayed, though.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I agree with Kalleh. The actual building of the models is more of a hobby. Their flying, though, is a sport, although it is also a hobby.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
For me the element that a sport has that a hobby doesn't is competition. If you fly the aeroplanes competitively with a winner and a loser then it's a sport. If you nip out to the park on your own and fly them around for a while it's a hobby.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I don't know, Bob. Aren't there hobby competitions? The race cars they make in Boy Scouts for example. Or competitions for gardening?

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Competiton, for me, may not be a sufficient condition, but I do think it's a necessary one. i.e. things that are competitive may or may not be sports, things that aren't competitive can't be sports.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
What about hunting, shooting, and fishing? They are generally considered sports, although there is often no element of competition. Yes, I know there are fishing competitions, and target shooting events, but many people don't take part in the sports competitively.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
It's not just competition per se. People compete in many ways, but I hardly call jockeying for position in the platoon on the freeway (or motorway) during the morning commute a sport. Also, chess seems more a game than a sport.And the limerick competitions that newspapers hold? Sport or contest? Enough of my uninformed lexicological, on to the origin of the word: sport < Middle English sporte < disporte < Old French desport 'pleasure' < desporter 'to divert'; there is a verb still disport 'to amuse' < Middle English disporten < Old French desporter 'to divert' [des- 'apart' + porter 'to carry' (< Latin portō, portāre, 'to carry'). Well, the diverting and amusing parts of sport go a ways to explaining the connection with ladies of the night, I suppose.

[Edited for typos.]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Thank you for that etymology, z. How common is that verb disport? I'd love to start using it, but if no one would know what I meant it might not be that useful.

In thinking about my personal definition of sports, I think there is some sort of physicality associated with my idea of sports. That's why I see fishing on the edge (though I suppose you have to have some physical talent in casting your rod) or even flying a model airplane, though again you'd have to get it up in the air and keep it there.

It's a really good question, though, Asa.

<Proofreader>
posted
I wonder if sex is a sport
Since you can play like games of a sort.
But the problem with me
Is, most players agree,
My gear seems to be a bit short.

Edited for typo in L5

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Proofreader>,

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Old golfers never die, they just lose their balls and bend their putters.

Old fishermen never die, they just forget their lines and break their rods.

Baseball players never die, they just get stuck swinging with old bats.

Old curlers never die, they just break their stones.

Z, I think the etymology shows the close parallel between a sport and a hobby, yet they certainly don't seem to be close in most folk's opinion.

<Proofreader>
posted
Old bowlers never die; they're found with their balls in a gutter.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I agree with Kalleh, that a sport must have some degree of physicality, whether it is a team sport or an individual sport (the long-distance runner competing with his own best time.) For me, if it doesn't make you sweat, it isn't a sport. Yet I know that chess, the game, is officially considered a sport, and is, in fact, along with bridge, a sport recognized by the International Olympic Committee, even though it is not part of the Olympic competition!

To me that makes as much sense as calling knitting or quilting sports. You could argue that these intricate activities do not involve competition, but they do require a vast amount of planning, patterns and strategy.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zmježd:
It's not just competition per se. People compete in many ways, but I haardly call jockeying for position in the platoon on the freeway

As I said (using terminology from my maths background) it isn't a sufficient condition, but it is a necessary one. At least I think so. Those sports mentioned by arnie, are only, in my opinion, sports when the competitive element is added. Otherwise they are pastimes.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
For me, if it doesn't make you sweat, it isn't a sport. Yet I know that chess, the game, is officially considered a sport

If I really want to work up a sweat then I play chess with a full-size set; otherwise a game with a portable set is quite enough exercise for me Wink

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I agree with Kalleh, that a sport must have some degree of physicality,
It's funny because I have only rarely used that word "physicality" before. Yet, during the NBA playoffs (they do work up a sweat!) they used that word all the time. It was odd because I have watched a lot of professional basketball in my day, and I've never heard the word "physicality" used so much.