Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hurful Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
Was the use of this word enough to justify an arrest for using it?

The Michigan legislator who said "Vagina" may be executed if it is.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the citation hinges on the use of "crippled," then Political Corruptness has hit a new low in absurdity. If, however, he was otherwise annoying people, as the article suggests, that's an equestrian critter of another hue.

Geoff, who has a sign over his workspace: "Hire the handicapped. We don't get much work done but we're fun to watch."

Oh, speaking of vaginas, if you haven't seen Eve Ensler's "Vagina Monologues," do so! I saw it when she was still working the bugs out of it. The act, not the vagina. Eek

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6172 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I've never had a vagina talk to me though their owners have sometimes yelled to leave it alone.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
I've never had a vagina talk to me though their owners have sometimes yelled to leave it alone.

I've had a few rate my performance with Bronx Cheers. Frown http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaginal_flatulence

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6172 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
According to the article, Thomer was cited on a disorderly conduct charge because he was alleged to have he walked into people and shouted obscenities at them.

It was the headline-writer who conflated this with his use of the word "crippled" to describe his friend.

But I agree with the underlying point - which is we are often far too sensitive about the way in which words are used.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Here's why he was arrested; he annoyed local businesses:
quote:
“We don’t allow anyone to conduct marketing at our events without prior authorization or take video of our guests for commercial purposes without their approval,” chamber spokesman Chris Kemper said.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
The article was a little confusing. Here is what it first said:
quote:
He was cited by Cincinnati police last month at a park after he and comedian Ally Bruener say he asked people if they wanted to “laugh at the crippled girl.”
That is pretty clear that it's about the word "crippled." But then it says:
quote:
Thomer, 25, was cited May 23 on a disorderly conduct charge alleging that he walked into people and shouted obscenities at them, according to court records. Thomer was asked to stop his behavior but “persisted in yelling and shouting, causing annoyance and alarm to others,” according to the complaint in Hamilton County Municipal Court.
He clearly needs a good lawyer. Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
As arnie said, part of that report suggests that the police acted because local traders had complained, and they had complained because he was promoting a commercial enterprise without permission.

quote:
A spokesman for the Cincinnati USA Regional Chamber, which sponsors the weekly park parties, said Thomer was “disrupting the event and our guests.”

“We don’t allow anyone to conduct marketing at our events without prior authorization or take video of our guests for commercial purposes without their approval,” chamber spokesman Chris Kemper said.

This seems to me to be the kind of reason that is a)utterly stupid and b)all too plausible.

They probably just didn't like losing control and having someone do something they hadn't authorised. They would have called the police to me if I'd started reading poetry and handing out flyers to promote a poetry gig.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, I was relying on the reasons given for being cited. However, the point, I agree, is that we are taking political correctness way too far. As for the "prior authorization for videos," I suppose I get that if it's really for commercial use (that is, they make thousands of dollars from videoing innocent people); yet in this day and age, it is nearly impossible to not allow videos being taken.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post