Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Philistine" Login/Join

posted
In the Washington Post, novelist Diana Abu-Jaber, who is part Palestinian, takes offense at the word philistine.

She claims, "The word 'philistine' means 'boorish and backward'; it comes from the word for 'Palestinian.' It is a derogatory word that demeans an entire culture, and it is used with relative impunity in this country."

Is she accurate?

Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
As far as I know, the word philistine and palestinian are related to one another, but the former is related to a Jewish sect of the 1st century CE and the latter is a term referring to Arabs who live in Palestine (Jews, Christians, and Muslims). Such is life.

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jheem:
As far as I know, the word philistine and palestinian are related to one another, but the former is related to a Jewish sect of the 1st century CE and the latter is a term referring to Arabs who live in Palestine (Jews, Christians, and Muslims). Such is life.

Philistine is used in translations of Genesis to refer to a people group that existed a long while before the 1st century CE. From the King James Version:
quote:
Genesis 21
32 Thus they made a covenant at Beersheba: then Abimelech rose up, and Phichol the chief captain of his host, and they returned into the land of the Philistines.

Did the Bible translators use the wrong word? I thought Philistine referred to the people of Philistia, an ancient region of south west Palestine.

Posts: 133 | Location: Melbourne, AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did the Bible translators use the wrong word? I thought _Philistine_ referred to the people of Philistia, an ancient region of south west Palestine.

The KJV translators were translating from the Septuagint, which was written in Greek. So we're talking about the English word for the Greek word for the Hebrew word. I would guess the Greek word here is something very much like philistine. Does anyone know the Hebrew word(s) used here?

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
Sorry about that, I was thinking of the negative connotation version of Philistine which comes from the New Testament. Here's the forms of the words in the Septuagint and the Torah:

LXX: eis ten gen ton Phulistiim
Torah: 'al-'eretz pəlishtim
KJV: into the land of the Philistines

Hebrew name of Philistia: pəlesheth

The really loaded question is what was the ethnicity of the Philistines?

Note: the oldest MS of the Bible is not a Hebrew one, but the Greek translation known as the Septuagint.

Addendum: After taking a quick look around the Web, I see I didn't know nearly as much about the Philistines as I thought I did. The negative connotations about Philistines probably start with the Egyptians who grouped them with the Sea People (Hyskos) invaders. The Hebrews thought of them as they did most pagans: i.e., bad.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jheem,

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post