Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Playing possum Login/Join

posted
While away, I saw a sign for "O'possum" Road!

Now, I know that "Opossum" would be OK, even "Possum", but "O'possum"? Has anyone ever heard or seen the word spelled this way?

Posts: 24 | Location: New York StateReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
An Irish marsupial?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good one, Asa! big grin

Posts: 266 | Location: GreeceReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a friend whose last name was Bedient. He always joked that he was Irish, and the name used to be O'Bedient until the day his dad got into trouble, and they took the O away from him! razz

And look, I went away for a couple days, and there are all these new names here! Welcome museamuse! So nice to see you here! Now I know who to come to when things are "Greek to me". wink

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yes. possum o'possum, the tale of an irish possum, was a children's story i wrote. but no one thought it was funny. so, i also changed my cat's surname to macpherson. but he's still a finian ba*tard with the best of 'em.

Posts: 166 | Location: pointssouth, u.s.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"i also changed my cat's surname to macpherson"

Ok...I'll bite...so what is the cat's full name now?

And by the way, you are a writer? What else have you written?

posted Hide Post
wildflowerchild (may I call you wfc for short?), is Possum O'Possum related to Major Major in Catch-22?

[sticking tongue firmly in cheek]

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
"sticking tongue firmly in cheek"

Whose tongue, and whose cheek? Do I detect the possumbility of a budding board romance here? roll eyes

posted Hide Post
quote:
Do I detect the possumbility of a budding board romance

Are you pandaring it? wink

If you're a panda we can't have you around, since a panda will eat at our table, then shoot the host and depart without paying. Oh, you didn't know that? Check the dictionary: "panda: A tree dwelling marsupial of Asian origin ... Eats shoots and leaves".

posted Hide Post
possum's full name is: possum lee mcFurrson. i forgot to say i spell it that way. since i live here in dogpatch, people think i have a pet possum. i do, but....he only comes around at night and eats the cat food. i am his meal plan. but the cat possum, he's a very special sixteen year old kitty guy.

i wrote a story about a fox and one about a bird and a cat, but none can i get published. i illustrate, so i want to do my own drawings, and they don't want you to do that. or at least, for you not to have the say about it.

i don't think i've ever had someone else's tongue in my cheek. that sounds uncomfortable.

major major? yes, we've got your pal (meow)

posted Hide Post
quote:
since i live here in dogpatch, people think i have a pet possum. i do, but....he only comes around at night and eats the cat food. i am his meal plan.

I live in the country too. We have groundhogs that come out every night when we eat dinner. I swear they sit by the door waiting for me to throw them scraps! Have lots of other critters here too, deer, and rabbits mostly.

Hey, anyone know if there is a difference between a groundhog and a woodchuck, or are the terms interchangable?

And by the way Wildflowerchild, I lurve the name of your kitty! big grin

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
"Hey, anyone know if there is a difference between a groundhog and a woodchuck, or are the terms interchangable?"

You mean, wood hog and ground chuck? Or do you mean that since a chuck is a holding fixture, a wood chuck would be a holding fixture for wood, and ground hog is sausage, so, could you make sausage by mounting a hog in a wood chuck? confused

posted Hide Post
quote:
Welcome museamuse! So nice to see you here! Now I know who to come to when things are "Greek to me".

Thank you for the welcome, Morgan! I am enjoying being here. And speaking of the phrase "It's Greek to me", have you ever wondered what the Greeks say when they are befuddled by something?

"It's Chinese to me"! Now I wonder what the Chinese say?

And not to break the thread of the posts, does anyone know how much wood a woodchuck would chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? eek

Posts: 266 | Location: GreeceReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
[chuckle smile ]
quote:
how much wood a woodchuck would chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

[chuckle smile ]

chuck¹: 1. To pat or squeeze fondly or playfully, especially under the chin.
I chuckled at the image chucking a woodchuck underneath the chin. and wondered exactly how those variants are related.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
anyone know if there is a difference between a groundhog and a woodchuck, or are the terms interchangable?

Interesting question, wildflowerchild. I hadn't even realized that the two were related. Checking it out, I found this from bartleby.com:

REGIONAL NOTE: The woodchuck goes by several names in the United States. The most famous of these is groundhog, under which name all the legends about the animal's hibernation have accrued. In the Appalachian Mountains the woodchuck is known as a whistle pig. The word woodchuck is probably a folk etymology of a New England Algonquian word—that is, English-speaking settlers "translated: the Indian word into a compound of two words that made sense to them in light of the animal's habitat.

What a great name, whistle pig.

posted Hide Post
Ok, so now it seems that we have 3 interchangable words:

woodchuck
ground hog
whistle pig

any more names for this creature?

And an aside to asa....HUH? razz big grin smile

[This message was edited by Morgan on Tue Jul 23rd, 2002 at 17:33.]

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
According to shufitz....I am now interchangable with Wildflowerchild too! eek

quote:
anyone know if there is a difference between a groundhog and a woodchuck, or are the terms interchangable?

Interesting question, wildflowerchild.

***Chuckle***

[This message was edited by Myrrhine on Tue Jul 23rd, 2002 at 17:34.]

posted Hide Post
i am real. i am not myrhine or amanda or whatever. no offense. just, i'm real.

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
and I am easiliy confused. confused Sorry about that, wildflowerchild smile

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Myrrhine:
While away, I saw a sign for "O'possum" Road!

Now, I know that "Opossum" would be OK, even "Possum", but "O'possum"? Has anyone ever heard or seen the word spelled this way?

That's an Irish possum.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
It's an animal common to Ireland but seldom seen in the US.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Nostalgia: what ever happened to nice wildflowerchild?

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Not sure, Richard. Interestingly, I recently brought up this subject..

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
Nostalgia: what ever happened to nice wildflowerchild?

I know - that's what prompted my question.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I thought Tinman revived this thread. Confused

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
I thought Tinman revived this thread. Confused

Indeed - but WFC's posting was just above and I spotted it when I scrolled up to check context.

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes. If I recall, she lost access to the Internet.