Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Uncanny Valley Login/Join

posted
I just heard this term for the first time the other day. It was used to depict the trailer for the new Cats movie. I had never heard of the term, but I think I have had that feeling/experience. Have you all heard of it? Can you think of experiences where you might have had that feeling/experience?

Uncanny Valley

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
sattva- what an intriguing term. That Cats song still gives me the chills.

But I think I this expression would strike horror into the heart of The Jolly Green Giant... Big Grin

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
This is actually quite a common phrase over the last few years. It refers to things that are almost perfect copies but just far enough off to make us feel uneasy without really knowing why. It is usually used to refer to human-like representations such as robots that look like people or digital animations of people. We are ok with Toy Story style people because they are far enough away from realistic that our brains process them as animations but if you look at the digital versions of Christopher Lee and Carrie Fisher in the last Star Wars film something about them just feels wrong.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I haven't heard the phrase, and while I thought about it for awhile, I could not think of when I've felt that way.

Now, uncanny attraction I am familiar with. You should see my little 3-year-old granddaughter and her dog. They are spitting images of each other.

[In using the phrase "spitting image," I then was curious as to its origin. I found this online: "Spitting Image is an expression that lacks a clear consensus as to its origin. The Morris' (Dictionary of Word and Phrase Origins) cite one authority who thinks that spit in this context comes from the Anglo-Saxon spittan, meaning to eject from the mouth," and that the phrase means 'speaking likeness.'" One authority? Does anyone know anything more?]

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Take a look at those digital recreations in the Star Wars Movie - Rogue One and tell me they don't feel creepy. Better still look at the trailer for the forthcoming Cats movie. If that doesn't creep you out nothing ever will.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post