Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Short bus Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Today at work I made an inane remark, as I am wont to do, and a co-worker asked if I had taken the "short bus" when at school. I hear the expression fairly often in reference to the smaller than standard bus that picked up/dropped off handicapped students. Is the expression used elsewhere? I realise that this is not a "politically correct" term but it's often used around here.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Although we have similar buses I don't think they are given a special name like "short bus". Certainly the phrase is unknown to me, and I can't imagine anyone making a similar reference.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Of course, for years our buses have always been short compared with those of other countries; they have, though, been very much higher!

Until now, though, when the meglomaniac mayor of London, Ken Livinstone, has decided to get rid of our double-deckers (a feature of London for a century) and replace them with long, ungainly, cumbersome and unreliable "bendy-buses" - which have the dubious distinction of bursting into flames at indeterminate intervals.

Simce his stated reason was to save money by eliminating the cost of the conductor, we have had to put up with the lesser service offered by the bendy-buses. But, guess, what, you can dodge your fare with almost complete impunity. So, cheaper to run - but less money in the till.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Short bus

I have never heard that expression. Disparaging remarks I hear along that vein are: three bricks short of a load; space for rent upstairs; or a few lights out in the marquee. When someone is naive, she might be accused of having just fallen off the turnip truck.

Posts: 235 | Location: Portland, OregonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I've heard the term alot.

I've also heard all those terms Sunflower used. I wonder if she's used them to describe her groom-to-be, since they were so easily thought of for the post?

Around here, you can also hear:
a few fries short of a happy meal
all the lights are on but nobody's home
that cracker jack box is missing the prize
a few degrees off plumb

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I haven't heard the term, and I think I am glad. It seems to be prejudiced against the handicapped students. The terms that CW and Sunflower used are fun and don't go against a certain group of kids, like the "short bus" term does.

I suppose I am just a bleeding-heart liberal, who specializes in being politically correct! Roll Eyes

BTW, Asa, are you sure you're not another Brit here, with your "wont" and your "realise?" Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:

I suppose I am just a bleeding-heart liberal, who specializes in being politically correct!

As I said, I do know that it's NOT a P-C comment, and said so, but people do use it. To what extent was my query.

quote:
BTW, Asa, are you sure you're not another Brit here, with your "wont" and your "realise?" Wink
Many Brit spellings and expressions make more sense to me than do US ones, soooo, why shouldn't I use them! Smile Besides, my real name is VERRRY British!

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:

I've also heard all those terms Sunflower used. I wonder if she's used them to describe her groom-to-be, since they were so easily thought of for the post?

Nah, she uses some other terms which I'll not publish here! ;-) My own favorite is, "Nice cage - too bad the canary's dead."

posted Hide Post
I've certainly never heard of the phrase 'short bus' but I can add another few sayings:

A few twigs shy of a thatch
A couple of cans short of a six pack
A couple of slates short of a roof
He has a house full of chairs but all of them are rockers

One of my father's favourites to describe someone of less than honest conduct is 'As crooked as a 3-speed walking stick' and with reference to some girls whe fall a little shy of the aesthetic ideal there is always 'Nice legs, shame about the face'.

Posts: 291 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Over here, it's assumed that when you say "She has a great personality" you also mean she's a little (or a lot) on the icky side of pretty. Is that implied in the UK with that phrase, too?

Whenever my sister sees a woman dressed in tight, revealing clothes, she'll say "too bad they didn't have that outfit in her size."

Meow.

~Dalai Lama

posted Hide Post
I suppose it's fair to say that if a guy goes on about a girl's personality instead of her looks it means he thinks she's a dog. I'm afraid that men can be mind numbingly shallow.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, Doad, thankfully not all men are numbingly shallow!

Women are not exactly guiltless, either. They tend to go for big bucks, at least here in the U.S.

We have a number of women in my office who are single, and they often go for good looks and a thick wallet! In thinking about it, perhaps that's why they are single!

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
From somewhere on the Internet came the question: "Why is it so difficult for women to find men who are compassionate, caring, understanding, tender, romantic, ..."

... and from somewhere came the answer:
"Because that kind of men already have boy friends."

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
it's assumed that when you say "She has a great personality" you also mean she's a little (or a lot) on the icky side of pretty.

Nevertheless, I'm sure we've all seen one very good-looking member of a couple whereas the other is not at all attractive physically. Sometimes the "optical shunt" occurs; that is, one sees someone's lovely human qualities and the optic nerve gets shunted through the heart, and the person becomes beautiful. "It is only with the heart that one sees clearly. The essential is invisible to the eyes." St-Exupery

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Personality
Johnny Mercer

When Madam Pompadour was on a ballroom floor
Said all the gentlemen "Obviously,"
"The madam has the cutest ... personality"

And think of all the books about Du Barry's looks
What was it made her the toast of Paree?
She had a well-developed ... personality

(What did Romeo see in Juliet?)
(Or Figaro in Figarette?)
(Or Jupiter in Juno?)
You know!

And when Salome danced and had the boys entranced
No doubt it must have been easy to see
That she knew how to use her ... personality

(A girl can learn to spell and take dictation well)
(And never sit on the boss's left knee)
(Unless she's got a perfect ... personality)

(A girl can get somewhere in spite of stringy hair)
(Or even just a bit bowed at the knee)
(If she can show a faultless ... personality)

Why are certain girls offered certain things
Like sable coats and wedding rings?
By men who wear their spats right?
(That's right!)

(So don'tcha say "I'm smart and have the kindest heart"
(Or "what a wonderful sister I'd be")
Just tell me how you like my
Mercer> "Rufff!!
(Personality)

Baby, you've got the cutest ,,,
Personality!!

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
You're showing your age, Jerry! I haven't heard that song in over forty years! Good post, though!

posted Hide Post
quote:
... and from somewhere came the answer:
"Because that kind of men already have boy friends."

Which proves, if proof were needed, that, witty though some internet postings may be, they are still frequently ungrammatical!

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
but it's still funny

~Dalai Lama

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Well, Doad, thankfully not all men are numbingly shallow!

I totally agree, I obviously don't include myself in that Cool I was merely talking about the stereotypical image of a man as you are referring to a stereotypical image of a woman. As with many stereotypes it cannot be true of all but it probably does have a strong element of truth for many.

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Which proves, if proof were needed, that, witty though some internet postings may be, they are still frequently ungrammatical!

Proof is not needed, Richard. I readily agree that some internet postings are frequently ungrammatical. This one, however, is not ungrammatical, and I challenge you to show otherwise.

You are probably going to accuse me of writing "that kind" instead of "those kinds."

I am referring, however, to only one kind of men.

What kind of men? The kind who are compassionate, caring, understanding, tender, romantic, ..."

That kind, Sir.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your judgement of my posting; words fail me.

~~~~ jerry

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jerry thomas,

posted Hide Post
Sorry, I am not convinced.

This kind of man already has... or these kinds of men already have...

It's called subject-verb agreement.

And I had assumed, Jerry, that it was something that you had copied from the Internet, not that you had composed; I tend to avoid being critical of solecisms perpetrated by our own members.

And I am pleased to note that, in spite of your protestation, words have not failed you!

Richard English

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Asa Lovejoy:
quote:
it's assumed that when you say "She has a great personality" you also mean she's a little (or a lot) on the icky side of pretty.

Nevertheless, I'm sure we've all seen one very good-looking member of a couple whereas the other is not at all attractive physically. Sometimes the "optical shunt" occurs; that is, one sees someone's lovely human qualities and the optic nerve gets shunted through the heart, and the person becomes beautiful. "It is only with the heart that one sees clearly. The essential is invisible to the eyes." St-Exupery

You see why I love this guy! Wink By the way, he's the cute one of this couple! Big Grin

posted Hide Post
does he clean up well?

I am frankly horrified at the picture of myself and Shu. I did not realize I had gotten that fat. I used to be very slim, with fine high cheek bones that are no longer visible. I have stopped eating. I am NOT the cute one of this couple.

Posts: 915 | Location: IowaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jo - Maybe Asa will share his diet secrets with you. I know he eats a lot of spinach salads. Wink

And he's supposed to go to the gym, but I don't think he does that. Frown He's waiting for me to move out west so we can be gym rats together.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Jo, I thought that was a delightful picture of you and Shu.

Jerry, Richard, we are going to have to separate you two! Wink I am certain, Jerry, that Richard was referring the fact that the piece was from the Internet. We all know, from experience, that your writing is excellent.

As CW said, even though the anonymous writer made a mistake, we surely all understood what was meant.

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Seeking answers to popular questions, I serendipitously found a link that I think will be of interest to most WordCrafters.

Here it is ==> A Brief History of English Usage

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jerry thomas,

posted Hide Post
A fascinating and scholarly insight.

Interestingly, as it has been written by an American, the style seems very British - though this might be more to do with its erudite nature than its origins.

Richard English

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
A fascinating and scholarly insight.

Interestingly, as it has been written by an American, the style seems very British - though this might be more to do with its erudite nature than its origins.

Yes, that's right. An American is not capable of erudition unless writing in a "British style."

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
Richard says, "as it has been written by an American, the style seems very British - though this might be more to do with its erudite nature than its origins."
And tinman replies, "Yes, that's right. An American is not capable of erudition unless writing in a 'British style.'"

tinman, you are saying -- with tongue in cheek -- that British style is necessary for erudition. I'd think it's precisely the converse: if a writing is erudite, some brits will automatically deem the style to be "British style". Wink

posted Hide Post
To a degree I think you are perfectly correct but surely that is a natural conclusion to draw when erudite writing is often in a reserved, understated, conservative and formal style, all characteristics that are stereotypically associated with the British. On top of this, perhaps the fact that 'English' is the worlds foremost academic language it naturally associates this style with the British. On one hand I can't help but side with Richard that this is a very British style but I certainly concede that it may come across as extreme arrogance.