Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    I'll see what I can't do...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'll see what I can't do... Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I overheard someone apparently speaking to a customer (or the like), who said, "I'll see what I can't do about that and blah, blah blah." I certainly understood that he meant "can" and I've heard that usage before. However, I wonder how it originated. Any thoughts?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a kind of overnegation where the presence or absence of the negation doesn't change the meaning, similar to "he knows/doesn't know squat about alligators." Or "that'll teach you (not) to tease the alligators" or "I could/couldn't care less about monster trucks."

Weird.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah, yes. The whole "I could care less" kerfuffle.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Ouch, goofy, alligators! You were prescient with that one.

Kalleh I have never heard this usage but then I don't get around much anymore (hm that reminds me of a song... whatever happened to 'complete the lyrics'?).

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, wasn't that alligator attack awful! Poor baby.

Usually it is I who hasn't heard of usages. Here is one thread where we talked about "could care less." I can't stand that usage, as you'll see in that thread. However, goofy pointed out when it can mean something.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bethree5:
... whatever happened to 'complete the lyrics'?.

Lack of interest? The last post was nearly 3 years ago. No one has yet seen fit to revive it.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Bethree, would you like me to start it again? I am happy to, but as Tinman said, it seemed to fizzle out.