Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

certain Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
You've probably heard The First Noel song a number of times during the holiday season, right? This is the first stanza:

The First Noel, the Angels did say
Was to certain poor shepherds in fields as they lay
In fields where they lay keeping their sheep
On a cold winter's night that was so deep.
Noel, Noel, Noel, Noel
Born is the King of Israel!

How is certain being used? I couldn't find anything about in the dictionary.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the second meaning: https://www.google.com/search?...0&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

How come christians make a big deal about sheep, but eat pigs on this day?

Posts: 6169 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
But isn't it a verb, in that use?

posted Hide Post
You read it as "certify to?" Unusual, but I see how it could be taken that way.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
It's being used as a determiner just as you could say "the", "those", "three", "some" etc.

It means a particular, though not identified, group.

I can't see how the definition Geoff cites could be considered a verb, or indeed how "certain" could be considered a verb in any usage.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I agree that I've not heard of to certain as a verb. It's just that in this sentence, it is confusing as a determiner. While using it your and Geoff's way would work if one were to think about it as poetic license, it sure seems like a verb to me. I just wondered if previously to certain was a verb.

I did consider your and Geoff's definition, of course, but I wondered if there was an alternative meaning at one time. But I guess not.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Just out of curiosity what would your verb mean?
IT seems a perfectly commonplace usage as a determiner to me.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well of course that was my question. However, I'd think it could means something like "respect." That is, the angels said to respect the poor shepherds as they worked because that was where the kind of Israel (according to the Christians) was born. That would very much make sense to me.

<Proofreader>
posted
I believe the phrase was meant to differentiate the particular group from the general congregation of shepherds.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:

The First Noel, the Angels did say
Was to certain poor shepherds in fields as they lay

I don't get this syntax. The angels said the first Noel was to shepherds. The first Noel, the angels said was to shepherds. I don't get it. If we remove "was" it makes sense.

<Proofreader>
posted
I think it needs a comma after "say.' Punctuation wasn't regimented in those days.

posted Hide Post
Its still weird. The first noel was to shepherds?

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Let's add a (n unnecessary) word and repunctuate for you

The first "Noel" that the angels said was to certain (i.e. some) poor shepherds, in fileds where they lay.

The second was presumably to someone else.

I'm can't understand why people are having any difficulty at all.

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
poor shepherds, in fileds where they lay.

Is this where the relationship between sheep and shepherds went kinky?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Proofreader>,

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
If we remove "was" it makes sense.

My thoughts, precisely, Goofy!
quote:
The first "Noel" that the angels said was to certain (i.e. some) poor shepherds, in fileds where they lay
Look at it this way, Bob. Would you say, "The linguists said was to certain poor Wordcrafters..." Or, would you say, "The linguists said to certain poor Wordcrafters..."? I, too, don't get the "was."

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
And if you take out "was" where is the verb in the sentence?

I would happily say, for example...

The first warning the linguists gave was to certain poor wordcrafters.

And that is structurally the same. You have muddied the waters by leaving out an important part of the subject phrase.

No, it makes perfect sense as it is. Try this

The first word I ever spoke was to my mother.

Any trouble with that one?

Let's try to clarify some more. Structurally this is like a cleft sentence.

It is equivalent to saying.

"The angels said their first 'Noel'. They said it to certain poor shepherds."

All that's been done is that for poetic effect the elements have been shifted into a less common but equally syntactically correct order.

"The first 'Noel' the angels did say.........subject
was...........................................verb
to certain poor shepherds.....................indirect object

The angels spoke to certain poor shepherds.
They said "Noel".

The angels said "Noel" to certain poor shepherds.

I am struggling to see where there can possibly be any confusion.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

posted Hide Post
I agree with Bob. He said it much better than I ever could. I can't understand how certain could ever be considered a verb.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
And if you take out "was" where is the verb in the sentence?

The verb is "say".
The first Noel, the angels said (it) to shepherds.

However, i think Bobs analysis is the right one.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I agree, Goofy, that I saw the "say" as the verb.

I suppose your way makes somewhat sense, though it is awkwardly stated. However, Wikipedia says the Christmas carol is likely from the 18th century, so I can understand the awkwardness.

What does flummox me, though, is why you don't see the usage as awkward. Thank heavens for Goofy or I'd feel like I was going linguistically crazy!

<Proofreader>
posted
It's more poetic than a mere statement of fact. After all the lims you've written, I would think you would recognize that.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Absolutely, Proof. Indeed, in my third post I did attribute it to "poetic license." However, the posts here (except for Goofy's) seem to indicate that it as an everyday way of speaking. That I don't see.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
I agree, Goofy, that I saw the "say" as the verb.

Well the sentence has two verbs: "was" and "did say". What I said was that if you remove "was" then the only verb is "say" and the sentence makes sense. But I think Bob has analyzed it correctly.

The first Noel (that) the angels said was to the shepherds.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, I agree, Goofy. I just don't think it is a clear and convincing as apparently Bob does.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I confess my bafflement. Until this thread it had never occurred to me that there was any possibility of a misunderstanding here.

"The first Noel the angels did say" is a noun clause. It simply omits, as is perfectly grammatical, the word "that"

"The first Noel that the angels did say"

I have done my best, I can do no more.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
I confess my bafflement. Until this thread it had never occurred to me that there was any possibility of a misunderstanding here.

Perhaps it was the comma that confused me. You don't normally put a comma there.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I looked at the Wikipedia entry for this carol. They show English, Cornish, and 'American' (from a 1916 book of carols) versions. We Americans generally sing the English version shown. But it's interesting that the American & English versions contrast meaning along the lines of our discussion.

English version fits Bob's parse: "The first Noel the angels did say/ Was to certain poor shepherds in fields where they lay." Meaning seems to be that the first time the angels ever said 'Noel', they said it to those shepherds.

American version: "The first Noel, the angels say to Bethlehem's shepherds as they lay." In this one, 'say' is the verb. The angels appear to be calling "The first Noel!" to the shepherds.

The Cornish (probably original) version dispenses with that pesky "first", resulting in a simpler statement: "O well, O well, the Angels did say/ To shepherds there in the fields did lay;"

Until this very day, I'd always read the first verse and chorus as one long sentence: [On] the first Noel, the angels did say-- ['t]was to certain poor shepherds in fields where they lay keeping their sheep, on a cold winter's night that was so deep-- "Noel, noel, noel, noel."

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Now I'm confused. According to Wiki, what I've always believed (and heard as such) was the American version is instead the English version.

Also, according to Wiki, "Noel" means "Christmas" so how do you "say a Christmas"?

posted Hide Post
I thought "noel" meant "birth of god." Given catholic belief, that makes sense. I think the Spanish "navidad" corroborates that.

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
I thought "noel" meant "birth of god."

See the Wiki link in Kalleh's post. Why would it mean birth of "god", since he isn't the one being born (said he ignoring the Trinity concept).

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have done my best, I can do no more.
And, Bob, please see both Goofy's and my posts above; we did eventually agree with you so there is "no more" to do.

The only part that I personally don't agree with is that the meaning is "crystal clear."

It has been a great discussion, though. I liked your analysis, too, Bethree.

posted Hide Post
Proof, the "no" part pertains to birth, but the "el" part pertains to ELOHIM,, the pronounced form of the Hebrew deity, i.e. The Lord. The Wiki article isn't accurate. Are there any Hebrew scholars present? Call a rabbit! Or a rabbi, or François Rabelais, or something.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
A noel is a Xmas carol. Noel is from Latin natalis 'birth' via Old French. The "el" part has nothing to do with the 'el in 'elohim literally plural, i.e., 'gods').

So it seems to me that these angels were singing the first Xmas carol to some convenient shepherds who happened to be tending their flocks in the middle of winter instead of being safely at home snug in their beds.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Did the angels speak "Old French"? If not, then they didn't sing a "Noel" or "carol", which are modern terms. Does anyone know exactly what they said, since no one was on site to record whatever occurred?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zmježd:
. The "el" part has nothing to do with the 'el in 'elohim literally plural, i.e., 'gods').

According to Etymology On Line, I'm half right. It's all from Latin, with "natalis" having the implication of the birth of a diety in this context. http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=noel But, of course, nothing's certain Roll Eyes

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Well, since the carol itself is probably no older than the 18th century, the "angels" can sing in whatever language they like. Sorry if my guess at what the lines meant is at odds with your guesses. But, that's life in general: a series of disagreements among folks.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
But, that's life in general: a series of disagreements among folks.
An interesting perspective, on which I disagree. Wink

posted Hide Post
Well, I recon I'm totally wrong. Upon rereading, I see I was reading into the article what I wanted to see. Where I got the idea that noel had an alternate etymology, I don't know. Maybe from Cliff Claven. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6GTZrcoWEM

"Well ya see, Norm, it’s like this… A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That’s why you always feel smarter after a few beers.”

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
LOL, Geoff!

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
quote:
Originally posted by zmježd:
. The "el" part has nothing to do with the 'el in 'elohim literally plural, i.e., 'gods').

According to Etymology On Line, I'm half right. It's all from Latin, with "natalis" having the implication of the birth of a diety in this context. http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=noel But, of course, nothing's certain Roll Eyes

My reading of the entry: the angels were singing "Happy Birthday".

posted Hide Post
What puzzles me is that, as far as I know, "birthday" is "anniversaire." Did I hang out with a weird bunch of French folks once upon a time?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
What puzzles me is that, as far as I know, "birthday" is "anniversaire." Did I hang out with a weird bunch of French folks once upon a time?

That means "anniversary". The actual day of birth isn't an anniversary.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post