Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mukluks Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
In the recent novel I read, which took place in Baltimore, they were talking about mukluks. I do remember my cousins from Chicago (I was from Wisconsin) talking about mukluks, but that word wasn't used around me. Is it a regional word?

What are other words from your past?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Frum Siberian: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...erian_Yupik_language Also used by Aleuts in Alaska. Boots made from seal or sometimes reindeer skin, usually fur lined.
My father brought the word home after spending time in Point Barrow, Alaska with the US Navy doing research on permafrost. That was about sixty years ago. So, no longer regional, having spread widely.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Geoff, do you hear the word in the midwest? I sure don't hear it - only years ago from my cousins.

posted Hide Post
I bet if you do an internet search you'll find commercial knockoffs sold at myriad yuppie boutiques. Also anorak, which is more common in the UK than here, but has diffused/generalized.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
What about "supper?" Do they say "supper" in Indiana? That is said all through north, but not in the midwest.

posted Hide Post
Some say it, but it seems to be only older folks. Sue uses it.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
You mean "supper" as opposed to "dinner"?
Since '70's, I've only heard "dinner" used in NE in conjunction w/holidays. I associate the demise of "dinner" w/the death of the 1-career nuclear family - before Dad was constantly traveling/ working OT, & arrived home at 5 pm in time to relax then enjoy "dinner" at 6pm. Ah those were the days.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, I wouldn't have chosen any of those. There wasn't a selection for dinner being the evening meal - not more formal. I grew up with supper, but when I moved to San Francisco and then Chicago, it became dinner.

posted Hide Post
When I was a kid in Kansas, we had breakfast in the morning, dinner around noon, and supper in the evening. When we moved to Washington, it was breakfast, lunch, and dinner. From what I've read it appears that dinner is the main meal of the day, whether at midday or evening, while lunch is a light midday meal and supper is a light evening meal.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So how come the christian types still talk about Jesus' "Last Supper?" Was he from Kansas, blue-eyed, and spoke 17th Century English? Confused

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Good point, Geoff!

All I know is that when I was a kid, supper was always where we had our big meal, and dinner was like our current lunches. That was in Wisconsin.

So - I heard another today. I am in North Carolina on vacation (the reason for my low numbers of posts), and there was an automobile accident causing a huge traffic jam. They called it a "wreck." Of course I knew what they were talking about, but I'd never call it that. What about you?

posted Hide Post
"Wreck" is common in my opinion.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Of course I knew what it meant, but not common where I come from.

posted Hide Post

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I love Longfellow.