Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sequestration Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
For those of you who don't live in the U.S., you may not be aware of the all-encompassing discussion about "sequestration" here, related to budget cuts. Here is one discussion of it.

I just think it's an odd term to use for this. Juries are sequestered or sequestration can be a legal term by courts to lock up valuable property. But, to me, it seems inappropriate for being used for budgetary cuts. Do you use the term this way in the UK? What do my fellow Americans think?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I have seen the word sequestration applied to funds. Not seen it used precisely this way before.

On the other hand did you see what was proposed (and rejected) in Cypres to help them pay back the huge debts they have in Europe?

A "bank tax" in which 10% of everybody's savings would be taken by the Government to pay back the loans they owe.

I still don't understand how everyone can be in debt. Who are we all in debt to?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
We don't use the term in the same way over here, although I can see how it might be applied in the special circumstances of the US budget deficit.

We have our own budget overspend problems here of course but there's no automatic form of cap.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
sequestration

It is interesting that, as in orient and orientation, there is another verb, sequestrate, besides sequester.

I can see how it might have developed from the 'seclude, segregate; requisition, confiscate' meaning to one of 'taking away a portion of somebody's budget'.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I got it confused with '"SeaQuest" station' which would be showing this.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
But, to me, it seems inappropriate for being used for budgetary cuts. Do you use the term this way in the UK? What do my fellow Americans think?

I think the way it's being defined (as a budget cut) is confusing. The budget law is pretty similar to a writ of sequestration, where, for example, a property which will be needed to make good on a judgment (if it goes against the defendant) is seized & held until judgment is made, to make sure the owner doesn't meanwhile sell it or ruin it. Now that we've passed the deadline & due for the cuts, we're in the phase where the court sells off the property to pay off the judgment.

What is odd is that this term normally heard only among lawyers & courts has entered the mainstream.

Meanwhile it's pretty funny reading through the history of trying to use this legal process to force congress to live within its means. Can't see anyplace yet where it has actually worked out that way...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bethree5,

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't know you were a lawyer, B35!

I had assumed that the term came from sequin and equus, sequin festooned parade horses ridden by members of congress. Of course, all we ever see is the departing part of the horse and its former contents.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I still don't understand how everyone can be in debt. Who are we all in debt to?
That is a good point, Bob. Wink Of course in the U.S. it's China.

I did see that Cyprus situation and just can't believe it. What is the government thinking? One article I read said that once the government can confiscate your money like that, it's a slippery slope. Amen!

[Fixed typo]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

posted Hide Post
I don't believe I've ever heard or seen the word sequestration before, though I have heard of sequestering a jury. But today I picked up a book at a used book store and, lo and behold, there it was. It was talking about how insects sequester chemicals from the plants they feed on to form chemical defenses and pheromones.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
I didn't know you were a lawyer, B35!
er um well I was married to one once upon a time... & I took Bus. Law for my job eons ago.. can I hang out a shingle?

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
can I hang out a shingle?

We're talking law, not carpentry.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
It was talking about how insects sequester chemicals from the plants they feed on to form chemical defenses and pheromones.
Well, that sounds quite similar to the sequestration that is going on with the federal government, doesn't it? Wink