Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drama Queen Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I know someone who often calls women "drama queens." I just looked it up, and it says, "Anyone who overreacts to a minor problem or situation."

I have only seen it used to describe women, and, after all, it is a queen. However, all the online dictionaries say that it is "somebody" who overreacts. Can a man be a "drama queen?" I think he should be a "drama king!"

BTW, in looking this up, I found a great new dictionary that I will post in our Links for Linguaphiles, "Flamespeak." That dictionary said this about "drama queen:"

Can usually make a routine trip to the car wash sound more traumatic than the Argentine revolution. Big Grin

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Certainly a man can be a drama queen. However, the sort of man who reacts in this way might be described as a "queen" anyway. Elton John comes to mind.

EDIT: After looking at Kalleh's link to "Flamespeak", that should be self-evident. Cool

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arnie,

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I'd go further. I think it's probably more commonly applied to men than women.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Now that's interesting that you'd think that, Bob. I have only heard it applied to women. I did read one dictionary that said it is one of the few "queen" words that tends to be be used more in heterosexual circles than in homosexual circles.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I've heard it applied to both men and women. I've always heard it used derogatorily about women and sometimes complimentarily about men.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Apparently I am wrong then.

I've always heard it used derogatorily about women and sometimes complimentarily about men.

Isn't that interesting? There are other words that are more positive for men than women, such as "aggressive" or certain sexual words. Are there words that are more positive for women than men?

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
It depends on your perspective, Kalleh. Many adjectives of femininity would be derogatory for men who wish to be "manly". Some men, however, are more comfortable with words that imply something more "female." "Beautiful" comes to mind. Some men would be upset if you called them such.

~Dalai Lama

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Are there words that are more positive for women than men?

Ummmmm.... "Mother" comes to mind.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Oh yes, Asa - you're right!

~Dalai Lama

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
See, though, there aren't many. Isn't that interesting?

Just today my daughter told me about a study looking at why so few women, versus men, run for public office here in the U.S. So, they chose 1,000 women and 1,000 men, all of whom were qualified to run for office. They were business people or lawyers or other educated people. They then asked the people if they were qualified to run for office.

What do you think the response was?

posted Hide Post
Apparently this is a generational thing. I would agree that it is often used more about men but I've never thought of it as being remotely complimentary due to the strongly homosexual overtones it has for me. However, a Year 8 student currently sat with me (he's too shy to be named) says that he wouldn't find it offensive at all. He just thinks it means you're good at drama but I confess that this rather literal interpretation never occurred to me.

Posts: 291 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:

Tell us! Tell us!

~Dalai Lama

posted Hide Post
I bet the men thought they were, and the women thought they weren't. Men generally have more confidence in their (perceived) abilities than women do, I've read.

Posts: 669 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would agree that confidence is a major factor in this. Many years ago I taught driving for a living (yes, I've had loads of different jobs) and I found that there was ceratainly a difference between men and women. In the early lessons the women/girls were alot better than the men/boys because they simply knew what the word 'delicate' meant and so could grasp the basics of clutch control. Most of the guys wouldn't know what 'delicate' meant if it hit them in the face but after those first few lessons their natural confidence gave them more ability to deal with situations and other traffic. I'm afraid the women never got a look in after that.

Despite my experience in this field I am wary of claiming that one sex are better drivers than the other even though I know it would wind Cat up tremendously Big Grin Both have their faults. Guys invariably drive too fast for their ability and so have worse accidents but women aren't as good at looking ahead in the road and anticipating problems. Myself and my wife are typical in that regard. I can drive much faster than my wife without it bothering me and she tends to break at the last minute at junctions.

I've just read that back and actually, that may be enough to wind Cat up anyway. Must be a natural talent Razz Wink

posted Hide Post
Not biting Razz

Posts: 669 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spoil sport!

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm afraid the women never got a look in after that.

"never got a look in"

HUH?

~Dalai Lama

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
she tends to break at the last minute at junctions.

Good heavens! I hope you managed to repair her ;-)

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post

Well, good grief, I forgot to post the answer. Sorry! I have been slaving on this white paper, and my life has gone to Hell in a handbasket (to quote my first husband*! Wink)

Yep, Cat, you got it. Even though the qualifications were identical on paper, the men were significantly more apt to say they were qualified. The study concluded that confidence was part of the reason we have so many more men in politics.

As for women drivers, well, I will bite. I hate women drivers, to be honest. At least where I live, they sit at stop signs, giving no indication what they will do next. They amble in the middle of the lanes, talking on their phones, eating, feeding their kids, and then get angry when you try to get around them. My daughter thinks I am sexist because of my driving preferences, but I would so much rather drive around men than women. With men, "what you see is what you get." With women, who the heck knows what to expect (except of course for me! Roll Eyes)

* Shu is my first and only husband! Wink