Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

fargling Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
It was suggested on QI last night that "fargling" is a American term for the game I know as Rock-Paper-Scissors. It doesn't, however, appear in onelook. Has anyone actually heard this term?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I've only heard it called rock-paper-scissors or rochambeau (aka rochambo), but I found fargling online in Google Books (link).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
My kids played it a lot, and I've only heard it called rock-paper-scissors.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've only heard it called rock-paper-scissors or rochambeau (aka rochambo)

Ditto.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
It sounds to me like a combining of farting and gargling. NOT a pretty sight! Mr Methane might have fun with it, though.http://www.mrmethane.com/

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Never heard it called "fargling." We always called it rock-paper-scissors.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
WM, have you heard it called rochambeau (aka rochambo)? I have only heard it called rock, paper, scissors.

posted Hide Post
I heard rochambo from my kids.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
So at the moment, QI notwithstanding, we have precisely zero Americans who have ever heard the term "fargling".

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
More fuss about the same episode of QI:
Daily Telegraph.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I sometimes wonder why people seem to incapable of "getting it". There were NO remarks made about Margaret Thatcher. The, admittedly not very funny remarks from Jo Brand, were wordplay on the NAME "Thatcher" rather than anything aimed at the person and the Phil Jupitus "burn the witch" comment was purely based on just how hideous the distorted photograph looked, aimed at the photograph, not the person.

I blame Russel Brand and Jonathon Ross. Since their incident everything is now being gone over with a toothcomb that Mary Whitehouse would have been proud of to seek every last possible iota of imagined offence.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
admittedly not very funny remarks from Jo Brand, were wordplay on the NAME "Thatcher"
Maybe because I am a woman or perhaps because I don't live in England...but...I thought the Lady Thatcher comment was absolutely hilarious. Big Grin That would definitely sell.

[It might also be because I have a weird sense of humor.]

<Proofreader>
posted
One of the most interesting, as well as unique, quiz shows is the Discovery channel's Cash Cab. And last night one of the questions was "What is another name for the children's game "rochambo"?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I wonder what the reaction would have been if the contestant had answered "fargling"?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
WM, have you heard it called rochambeau (aka rochambo)? I have only heard it called rock, paper, scissors.

No, I have never heard the game called either one of these, either!

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
I thought the Lady Thatcher comment was absolutely hilarious... Big Grin

I agree, Kalleh. Don't the Brits have a nightly comic-caster like John Stewart for desensitization purposes? Maybe things are just kind of slow across the pond. Ah for the days of jihad against literati and cartoon-strip artists >sigh<

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post