Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Hand Waving/Foot Stamping
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hand Waving/Foot Stamping Login/Join

Picture of wordmatic
posted
Recently, I heard the expression "hand waving," as in "How was the speech?" "Oh, it was a lot of hand waving," meaning a lot of empty rhetoric or hot air.

Along with this one is the expression "foot stamping," used to mean that the speaker was most emphatic in conveying his/her empty thoughts to the audience.

I had never heard either of these expressions used to mean anything but their literal meanings and was surprised to find this definition in the AHD:
quote:
NOUN: Usually insubstantial words or actions intended to convince or impress: resorted to hand waving instead of arguing rationally.

Has anyone else ever heard or used these phrases in this way?

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Since most of what I say is in this category, it seems a common expression. However, I have recently used these expressions less. Now, when someone passes gas, I say, "Running for office?"

I suspect the expression you've inquired about goes back at least to Shekespeare's day. "A tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Yes, but I had never heard either expression used in that way in my life--yet several others in this other discussion had. They were all men who worked in business or engineering, except for one, who was a philosophy professor! Possibly I just never "got it" when hearing these expressions used in this manner, or maybe they are more common in some regions than in others.

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
"Hand waving" is certainly fairly common in the UK; "foot stamping" less so.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I haven't heard them used that way, WM.

Foot stomping to me can either mean you're angry and stomp away. Or it can mean you're excited, such as stomping your feet at a sports game. Hand waving? Well I haven't heard it used except when someone is waving his/her hands.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I heard hand-waving used metaphorically quite often in a software engineering environment, as in 'his approach is nothing more than a lot of hand-waving'.
–noun
insubstantial words, arguments, gestures, or actions used in an attempt to explain or persuade.
[Random House Dict. 2009]

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I've heard both used metaphorically.
Out of interest, do Americans use "hand wringing" to describe phoney displays of remorse?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wordmatic:
...They were all men who worked in business or engineering..

That may be key, Wordmatic. I worked in the paper-pushing end of an engineering firm during the '70' & '80's. My nerdy colleagues were forever circulating tongue-in-cheek expressions for the fatuosity of management. Alas I wish I had kept a journal, memory fails. My bf (now husband) & I were both fairly good at cartooning & used to while away our time depicting, Dilbert-style, organization charts with 4-way stops and cul-de-sacs, bean-counters, dog-&-pony shows, etc etc.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
Americans use "hand wringing" to describe phoney displays of remorse?

Yes, unless you're the former Vice President.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post