Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I was just sayin' Login/Join

posted
Lately I note this expr used in mitigating response to an unwarranted umbrage, eg

John: What a colorful tie

Bill: So you think it's too bright? That I'm trying to draw attention? You think I'm a showoff?

John: I was just sayin'

I am wondering if you also have picked up on this usage, would you agree with my observation, or given my somewhat inadequate vocabulary, how could I have better described the phenom--thanks all

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dalehileman,

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Seems standard to me, albeit the phrase is American as written.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I agree with arnie. It's a commonplace enough expression over here. Is it new to the US, perhaps?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
It's not new at all over here, but I think "I'm just sayin'..." has become far more popular since The Sopranos series started on TV. The Christopher character (nephew of the mafia don Tony Soprano) always shrugs and sort of schlumps away, saying, "I'm just sayin'" every time Tony yells at him.

Re: statement from other thread, that the word "allegedly" can help you avoid litigation--the word "allegedly" literally does that. When I was a newspaper reporter covering the courthouse beat years ago we were required to say someone had "allegedly" committed whatever crime or that police had accused them of doing whatever it was--unless or until they were found guilty by the jury. Then we could say they had done whatever terrible thing it was. If the media say someone did the thing without that hedge word, and the person has not yet been convicted, they can be sued for libel.

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
nev: Thank you for that link

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, wordmatic, one of my pet peeves is when the media report about people being accused of crimes, but never when they go to court and are found not guilty. I am talking about those Police Report sections of community or small town newspapers. They just love reporting that so and so was picked up for driving under the influence or somebody was speeding or there was vandalism or whatever. However, they don't bother to report when the person was found not guilty. I have known several who, in fact, weren't guilty, but were embarrassed in front of their friends and neighbors. It's enough to make you sue! And, yes, wordmatic, they add a little piece about it only being "alleged", but for me that doesn't do it. People in the U.S. no longer think people are innocent until proven guilty.

As for "I'm just sayin'", it is common enough here. However, I have always found it hard to specifically define. That is, people use it differently, I think.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post