Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In the Offing Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted
We probably all know the phrase in the offing to mean "coming soon". Can it also be used to mean "nearby"?

I wrote a limerick for OEDILF a while back:

There was a young man from LA
Who swallowed his beer the wrong way.
Then he started coughing,
And friends in the offing
All found themselves covered in spray.

Some people have commented that my use in the limerick is confusing as it doesn't refer to the future. Whilst it's mostly used in that way, it has also been used elsewhere in the way I've used it. I quoted the definitions in Dictionary.com, which are:
1. In the near or immediate future; soon to come:
2. Nearby; at hand.

Someone else quotes the OED:
"nearby, at hand; imminent; likely to happen in the near future"

I wonder, is the use to mean "soon" alone, but not "near", an American phenomenon, or was it that the people happened not to have come across its use in that way before?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I've only ever come across it in the "soon" meaning although it does seem to me to carry a hint of something that is likely to happen rather than certain.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interesting, Arnie. I was going to post the same thing! It was a nice limerick.

We in the U.S. just don't use the phraseology that often, right fellow U.S.A.ians (or whatever)? I had thought it to mean in the future (not near) when I first read it, but you clarified the issue.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
American; only heard of it in the sense of imminent.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Good to see you here, Judah! Where are you from? Wordcrafters have problems with the word "American" for those who live in the U.S. since the word also includes people from South America, Central America, Mexico, and Canada. So, I never know what to call people in the U.S. Confused

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From the United States of America (Boston), but I learned how to speak in Canada, and as I have dual citizenship, and the Mexicans and South Americans speak Spanish, I think I can safely claim title to the term American. Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
Nearby; at hand

Is it possible that the "nearby" used in this definition is a reference more to nearness of a time rather than proximity of something tangible, as in the case of the limerick's friends? Having never heard nor read "in the offing" used in any way other than an implication that something will be happening soon, I tend to think the expression always refers to time. If so, I tend, also, to take issue with "nearby" as a definition.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I don't have access to the OED myself, but the workshopper who gave the OED's definition also give this cite: Lady Cecilia Clarendon and Miss Stanley now appeared in the offing.

I've definitely seen it used elsewhere in the 'nearby' sense. However, I've done some Googling for "in the offing" and so far as I can see, most definitions only give the "in the immediate future" meaning, apart from AHD, quoted by Dictionary.com, and the OED.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The OED Online
quote:
1. Naut.

a. The part of the sea visible from the shore that is the most distant, or beyond anchorage. (first citation a1600)

b. A position at a distance from a shore; distance from a shore. Also in extended use. Freq. in to make (or gain, [b[secure[/b], etc.) an offing. (first citation 1664)

2. In extended and fig. use. in the offing: nearby, at hand; imminent; likely to happen in the near future. (first citation 1779)

Occas. also: in the distant future (see quot. 1779) (obs.).

The Phrase Finder
quote:
Meaning

Imminent - likely to happen soon.

Origin

Another of the many phrases with a nautical origin. This one's quite simple once you know what 'the offing' is. It's the part of the sea that is most distant from the shore but is still visible. Early texts also refer to it as 'offen' or 'offin'.

So, someone who was waiting for and watching out for a ship would first see it approaching when it was 'in the offing' and when it was expected to dock soon. Something that was 'in the offing' isn't happening now or even in a minute or two, but will inevitably happen before too long. The phrase has migrated from its naval origin into general use in the language and is now used to describe any event that is imminent.

The phrase has been in use since the late 16th century and the earliest known citation is a quotation from S. Argoll from 1610 which was reported by S. Purchas in ' Purchas his Pilgrimes' in 1906:

"I came to an Anchor in seven fathomes water in the offing to sea.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post