New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Poisoned Chalice" Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
Today's paper had a new one to me. You?
    a follow-up to the putsch ... is being engineered ... against Suzanne Rich Folsom, who runs the [World] bank's Department of Institutional Integrity, or INT ... Ms. Folsom ... has been aggressively pursuing corruption investigations, much to the alarm of some at the bank.
    Ms. Folsom was bound to make plenty of enemies by the very nature of her work; allowing her to be pushed out sends the signal that the job is a poisoned chalice to anyone who takes its work seriously.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
This is a common expression in the UK. A "poisoned chalice" is a drinking vessel whose contents have been poisoned. Thus the benefits of the gift are tainted by its adulteration.

The analogy with a job is obvious; the job might be a good one but it has certain disadvantages that might not immediately be evident.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
A bit off topic, but why is the head person at the so-called "World Bank" always from the USA? And why did they allow the Wolf-owitz to guard the financial flock?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I wondered that, too, Asa.

The poisoned chalice comment reminds me of one of my favorite movies, "The Court Jester"...just hilarious. We've discussed it here before, but here are some of my favorite quotes:

"The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice
from the palace has the brew that is true!"

and

"The pellet with the poison's in the chalice from the palace. The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!"

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Danny Kaye, wasn't it? Yeah, very funny stuff!!!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
According to the World Bank FAQ
quote:
By tradition, the Bank president is a national of and is nominated by the executive director of the largest shareholder in the bank, the United States.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Shu, what will you do if Rupert Murdoch succeeds in buying Dow Jones (and with it, the Wall Street Journal) this time????

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
By tradition, the Bank president is a national of and is nominated by the executive director of the largest shareholder in the bank, the United States.
Yes, and by like tradition a European-selected-by-Europeans heads another like organization (the IMF, or International Monetary Fund, I believe).

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post