Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Macacas Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I read a column where the author said, "We are engaged in a struggle between freedom and the forces of terror, my little macacas, and I mostly side with freedom."

I thought I vaguely knew what "macacas" meant, but then when I looked it up I got confused. Is it a slur? That would seem out of context for how I saw it being used.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe the columnist is referring to this incident in which Senator George Allen (R-Virginia) called a spectator "macaca".

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
All the late night comicnews guys (Jon Stewart) have made a lot of great use of this slip-up.

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was caught on film by the Indian(?), the same one who was called Macaca, and he posted in on YouTube, where it quickly became popular, leading to its pickup by The Daily Show.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, if you're correct, neveu, Garrison Keillor didn't make it obvious.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
It doesn't seem like a slur when used by Keillor in that editorial. It did seem like a slur when used by Allen.

You know, at the library we sometimes give little nicknames to some of our regular customers when we don't know their real names (and sometimes when we do). I generally don't do that because I think that some staff might use those nicknames in the public area and slip the practice to our customers, which would be terrible.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
If this senator is to believed, he didn't realise that calling someone a macaca can be seen as a slur; in fact, he didn't know what it meant. This fact alone seems to show that he's not a suitable candidate for an important office. If he's not to believed ... remember the man is a politician.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had never heard macaca before, but it sounds like a racial slur, and I certainly wouldn't use a potential racial slur without verifying its meaning.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
If this senator is to believed, he didn't realise that calling someone a macaca can be seen as a slur;

I don't know...what do you think, fellow Americans? I am not sure any senator is to be believed. Razz

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I believe a few: McCain, Obama, Clinton, even Specter (whom I hated for years after the Anita Hill incident, but lately he seems fairly reasonable.) Many of the rest are pretty unbelievable, it's true. Wink

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
It is my humble and very sad opinion that once a person has risen to such a political height as to be a Senator, they can no longer be trusted to tell the truth or to have integrity.

~Dalai Lama

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is my humble and very sad opinion that once a person has risen to such a political height as to be a Senator, they can no longer be trusted to tell the truth or to have integrity.

It is my belief that their self-serving and frequently dishonest behaviour is the reaon why they have reached such exhalted heights. Why expect them to change the habits of a lifetime?

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is my belief that their self-serving and frequently dishonest behaviour is the reaon why they have reached such exhalted heights. Why expect them to change the habits of a lifetime?

Exactly my point, RE, but much better stated. Thank you.

~Dalai Lama

posted Hide Post
So what's a macaca

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Dale,

Neveu posted this link in his post.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So he did
]
In my own defense, I had in fact accessed Nev's link, but in scanning it my pointer inadvertently slipped out of the scroll bar and so I thought the article had concluded after only a couple of paragraphs