Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Another good read on Emglish
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another good read on Emglish Login/Join

posted

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
You are right; a good read. What was your impression?

I thought he made his case and had some good points. Yet, his first paragraph, with those double negatives, threw me a bit - and his frequent use of exclamation marks seemed odd, too, for a retired English instructor. But then I suppose I am a bit of a curmudgeon today.

I did enjoy reading about the final-R. I've always found that difference between the East and England and then the rest of the U.S. interesting.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The double negatives really didn't bother me for some reason. All-in-all, he made sense to me.

BTW, I didn't intend the typo in the heading!

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I guess I find double negatives useless (what is the point?) and in many cases, such as this one, ambiguous. Perhaps it's how my brain is wired.

But, I agree, that once you get through some of his writing style that he does make sense. It did make me chuckle, though, that was was an English professor.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post