Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Am I computer "unsavvy"? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I make more mistakes with my computer than the average person. While I hear people called computer savvy, what about the opposite? What should we call me? Somehow, naive doesn't do it for me. While the dictionary defines savvy as having knowledge or being wise, I think of it as also being clever--more than knowledgeable. Yet, I don't know an antonym for that. Any ideas? Or--should we devise our own term?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
While I hear people called computer savvy, what about the opposite?
The term cybervirgin would seem appropriate, but unfortunately has been coopted for other use.
[ roll eyes, with apologies to Maeve.]

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
The antonym for computer savvy is Asa Lovejoy, alas... frown

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've heard or read (or both, but I don't remember where) the phrase 'computer literate' used as a synonym to 'computer savvy'. I've also heard the antonymous phrases 'computer illiterate' or 'not computer literate'.

Posts: 266 | Location: GreeceReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Newcomers to the Internet are generally dubbed "newbies". Non computer-savvy folks I talk to when I'm working are generally called "idiots" (or worse) by me -- although not in their hearing. smile

My work involves explaining to teachers and other educators the intricacies of the reports we produce. Since the primary means of distribution is via the Internet they tend to treat me like a computer help desk. They see my phone number given as the one to use if they need help with the reports, and extend it to problems downloading, with software, in printing, and other computer-related difficulties. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to explain in words of one syllable how to download and install Adobe Acrobat Reader... roll eyes

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Non computer-savvy folks I talk to when I'm working are generally called "idiots" (or worse) by me -- although not in their hearing. smile

Oh, how I can relate to this statement! I manage volunteers. Nothing irritates me more than when someone calls an hour before their shift and say, "I won't be in today. I'm having my teeth cleaned. I wanted to give you plenty of notice though." mad

The typical response (after I hang up the phone) is much too vulgur for this place! eek

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
> Non-computer-savvy folks I talk to when I'm working are generally called "idiots" (or worse) by me -- although not in their hearing.

Okay, Arnie, then I guess I am officially an idiot (or worse)! Woe is me!

I found a better definition for savvy which is much more appropriate to the term computer savvy--this dictionary said the savvy is practical knowledge of something; being shrewd. That's what I lack--the practical knowledge.

Yes, Morgan, I can identify with your comment! I get the same thing from my students. One student actually called and said that she couldn't come into clinical that day because her dog was sick!

posted Hide Post
quote:
That's what I lack--the practical knowledge.

Have you thought about computer classes? I took one at the local high school, that was just about the internet, before I signed online. I had been using my own PC for about 12 years prior, but had never even seen the internet! It was 4 classes over 4 weeks, and gave me the courage to sign on. Didn't cost much either.

I also know, the instructor that I had at night school, taught similar classes at the local senior center free of charge. Depending on what's available in your area, you may be able to find a class. Sometimes libraries have them as well!

Good luck and let us know what happens! smile

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Kalleh,

I may have come across as being rather impatient with newbies in my earlier post; if so, I'm sorry. My message was written tongue in cheek, and was born of a certain frustration. I am not a computer helpdesk, even if I get treated as one at work from time to time.

We are all beginners at some stage, and some people tend to forget that. They tend to equate lack of knowledge with stupidity or wilful ignorance.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
I may have come across as being rather impatient with newbies in my earlier post; if so, I'm sorry.

I understand the frustration, Arnie, and I wasn't offended. I see the frustration of the computer moguls where I work. They are responsible for the computerized board tests for all nurses throughout the country (and in some cases, the world). Obviously, it is extremely important for the scores to be analyzed and reported correctly. These workers have huge responsibilities. Yet, they get baraged, on a daily basis, as a helpdesk--stupid little questions (not by me!)--"I am having a problem merging my word document", etc. You make an excellent point, Arnie. big grin
And, Morgan, thanks for the tip!

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
>> called "idiots"

Actually, that's an interesting word. Collecting some points (not recalling where I've read this all collected): The word idiot comes from the ancient greek, meaning not a feeblemined person but rather an intensely private person, one who would not participate in public life. To the ancient Athenians, that most intensely political of peoples, one who would not participate in public affairs was indeed what we mould colloquially call an idiot.

You can find some of the 1913 Websters (on-line) which includes this:
-- etymology (in part): "Gr., also and orig., a private person, not holding public office, fr. proper, peculiar.
-- one definition (which was then obsolete): A man in private station, as distinguished from one holding a public office
-- example sentence: St. Austin affirmed that the plain places of Scripture are sufficient to all laics, and all idiots or private persons.

An older psychological classification-scheme (now discredited and considered offensive) carefully distinguished "moron", "imbecile" and "idiot". Per the web: IDIOT, IMBECILE, and MORON are technical designations for one mentally deficient. An IDIOT is incapable of connected speech or of avoiding the common dangers of life and needs constant attendance. An IMBECILE is incapable of earning a living but can be educated to attend to simple wants or avoid most ordinary dangers. A MORON can learn a simple trade but requires constant supervision in his work or recreation.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
A year later, I would like to report to everyone that I am more computer savvy than our FBI. Read this from Molly Ivins:

"...the FBI, before Sept 11, had only green-screen computers with no Internet access. Agents wrote out their reports in longhand, in triplicate. Although the process is not complete, the agency is now upgrading its sytem: Many agents finally got e-mail this year."

Is that amazing or what?

posted Hide Post
My goodness! I remember my shock the first time I walked into the Physical Chemistry Undergraduate lab at Oxford to discover that all the computers in the lab were BBC Micros. I don't know if they appeared much overseas, but they were basically equivalent to the old Spectrum or Atari, only considered more "educational" than those. This was 1992, so it was a while ago, but well into the IBM PC era.

I came to the conclusion that these outmoded computers were there because it didn't matter if someone accidentally upended a winchester of sulphuric acid over them!

Ros

Posts: 185 | Location: London, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ros:
... these outmoded computers were there because it didn't matter if someone accidentally upended a winchester of sulphuric acid over them!

A "winchester"? What's that?

posted Hide Post
It's a particular size bottle, although I can't tell you off the top of my head what size...

Suffice it to say that a winchester of anything is quite a lot!

Ros

posted Hide Post
After a quick web search, it appears that winchester is a particular type of bottle, not just size, but in the lab, a winchester is usually a 2.5 litre (5 and a bit Imperial pints) bottle.

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by museamuse:
I've heard or read (or both, but I don't remember where) the phrase 'computer literate' used as a synonym to 'computer savvy'. I've also heard the antonymous phrases 'computer illiterate' or 'not computer literate'.

Something momentous has ocurred and no one is mentioning it?? I know I've been away for a bit but how is it that no one has commented on (Fanfare!) THE RETURN OF MUSEAMUSE??!!

Welcome back, M! You've been missed.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, CJ, this was a resurrected thread. Muse's post was from July 25 2002. I miss her as well. I believe her job is such that she can only post periodically.

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
OK, so I'm no good at solving riddles OR reading dates. Once again, my error.

If this keeps up, any future self-coronations may not be received with the unanimous approval they have in the past.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
quote:
(posted by Shufitz)

An older psychological classification-scheme (now discredited and considered offensive) carefully distinguished "moron", "imbecile" and "idiot". Per the web: IDIOT, IMBECILE, and MORON are technical designations for one mentally deficient. An IDIOT is incapable of connected speech or of avoiding the common dangers of life and needs constant attendance. An IMBECILE is incapable of earning a living but can be educated to attend to simple wants or avoid most ordinary dangers. A MORON can learn a simple trade but requires constant supervision in his work or recreation.

FWIW, here are some more assorted items in this semantic category, with links to definitions:

Disclaimer: This is definitely NOT to be construed as "talking about him behind his back" while C. J. is away.

nincompoop

ninnyhammer

dotard

simpleton

fool

dodo

fogy

fogey

fossil

ignoramus

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I have to say, I have never heard of "ninnyhammer", and I rather like it! Yes, Kalleh is computer ninnyhammeristic!