Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thaumaturgy Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I just heard this word for the first time on NPR today. Is it used at all anywhere in the world?
Oh, yeah, it means making magic or miracles, from the Greek Thaumus, the father of the Harpies.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a matter of fact, as a precocious teen, I used to read the thesaurus, and had a friend who was a magician. I referred to him as a thaumaturg for years, and he was clueless! Big Grin

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of it, Asa, but I love it! I will definitely add it to my vocabulary. Big Grin

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quinion says, "Of all the words in English that refer to the making of magic, this is perhaps the most resonant. It doesn’t have the negative associations of words such as sorcery or necromancy because it referred originally to the production of wonders for positive ends rather than any intent to cause someone harm."

Derivatives are thaumaturge, thaumaturgist, thaumaturgus, thaumaturgise, and thaumatrope.
J.K. Rowling characters could doubtless use a thaumometer. Wink

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Rowling characters could doubtless use a thaumometer.
I thau that one coming, and thaut so too.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Although Thaumaturgy might be considered resonant, my favourite "magic-related" word is "prestigitator"

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
my favourite "magic-related"
word is "prestigitator"
Didn't a couple of letters magically disappear? Smile

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interestingly, there are 2 very similar words. "Prestigiator" means a juggler or "prestidigitator"; while "prestidigitator" means the skill of performing magic tricks to amuse an audience....but also "deceitful cleverness". Aha! I will add that word to my vocabulary, too.

[This message was edited by Kalleh on Sun Feb 2nd, 2003 at 8:27.]

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Sorry, RE, thanks to Kalleh I stand corrected. Well, actually I'm sitting, but that's a mere technicality.

Considering how miraculous - and frustrating - language is, I'm beginning to wonder if Thaumus might have invented it! It was one thing for Pandora to open the box full of grief and pestilence, and quite another for her to open her mouth! Wink But then, maybe language was in that box.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I was so interested in these 2 similar words that I looked them up in OED today. Interestingly, though MW defined "prestigiator" as "prestidigitator", OED did not. They were defined as 2 distinct words. Furthermore, for a word board like this, I loved the following definition for "prestidigitator": Juggler with words.

posted Hide Post
Wonder of wonders! It's used here in Greece!

Posts: 266 | Location: GreeceReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Wonder of wonders! It's used here in Greece!
Ah, Muse, you're back! I'm most happy for this miracle! Smile

posted Hide Post
I see three similar words here: Richards entry of prestigitator and Kalleh's two entries of Prestigiator and prestidigitator. Richard, was your entry a typo? I can't find it listed anywhere, and if not, what does it mean? Confused

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Now I re-read it I see it was!

I meant prestidigitator!

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I meant prestidigitator!
============================
So, a sufficient number of digits weren't prest to the keyboard? Wink

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
From etymology.com (love that site!):
Interestingly, "prestidigitator" was coined in 1830, based on the Latin word "praestigiator" or "juggler". But, what was even more interesting was that "praestigiator" evidently came from the word "prestigious", which came into use around 1546. "Prestigious" was a derogatory word, meaning "practicing illusion or magic; deception". It dervived from the Latin word "praestigious" meaning "full of tricks". It wasn't until around 1815 that "prestigious" became a complimentary word, meaning "sense of dazzling".

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Kalleh, I'm dazzled! I always knew there was something wrong with those who seek prestige.

Asa the humble