Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

day of the day Login/Join

posted
LanguageLog had a discussion about a French conference called Les Journées Francophones de Pathologie Digestive 2009. There were a couple of interesting comments about various derivatives of the word for "day" in different languages:

quote:

The "journées" business seems to be from a specific sense of "day" common to (at least) mediaeval Latin, French, Spanish and German - according to the OED entry for diet (= "assembly", like the Diet of Worms),
quote:

Med.L. diēta had the various senses ‘day's journey’, ‘day's work’, ‘day's wage’, ‘space of a day’, as well as that of ‘assembly, meeting of councillors, diet of the empire’. The same senses, more or less, are (or have been) expressed by Ger. tag, and F. journée day."

So this sense of "day" also gives us German Tagung and Spanish jornadas, both meaning "conference". German Bundestag "federal parliament", Landtag "state parliament", etc., are also derived from this sense. There's a hint of this day/meeting link in adjourn, though that's from Old French. -- breffni

and
quote:
My birth certificate describes my father's occupation as "journeyman bricklayer", "journeyman" being used in its later sense of "craftsman employed by someone else" but originally, of course, meaning "person paid by the day". As a freelance writer and copy-editor frequently paid by the day I like to describe myself as a journeyman journalist … - Martin Cornell

Mysteries solved for me in these comments: the Diet of Worms, Bundestag, journeyman, and adjourn. As Jack Nicholson said in "Easy Rider", it has given me a whole new outlook on the day.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's also the Japanese Diet, their legislative body.

And don't US legislative bodies often adjourn sine die?