Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What exactly is that? Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
Watching an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer yesterday I heard the following from Xander

"I'm sick of being the guy who eats insects and gets the funny syphilis.... I'm finished being everybody's butt monkey."

What exactly is a butt monkey?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Butt monkey. Includes the Buffy quotation. "2. An object of abuse and ridicule."

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Indeed.

But I was more curious as to the etymology of this apparently recent term. The actual meaning was clear enough from the context. I wondered if it had been derived from some previous term or meaning.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
That's a new one for me. I hadn't heard it, yet combining the butt of a joke and monkey seems to me to be a quite colorful expression. Despite my curmudgeonly streak, I like it!

Some while back the term "spooge monkey" was common around here, meaning someone's sex slave, or so it seemed from the context.

Oops, correction: Urban Dictionary calls "spooge monkey" a wanker.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Asa Lovejoy:
That's a new one for me. I hadn't heard it, yet combining the butt of a joke and monkey seems to me to be a quite colorful expression. Despite my curmudgeonly streak, I like it!

Some while back the term "spooge monkey" was common around here, meaning someone's sex slave, or so it seemed from the context.

Oops, correction: Urban Dictionary calls "spooge monkey" a wanker.

The urban dictionary is just about the last place I'd go to find a reliable definition of anything.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
FWIW I've tried to research tis on the internet and I stumbled over this. It says it's also the name of a brewery. I was particularly taken with this quote, which may amuse or irritate Richard.

quote:
There are no outstanding aromas, to be honest it just smells like beer. And surprise, surprise it tastes like beer. If I were doing a blind taste test with the CCA [Chimp Chiller Ale] and Bud or Miller Lite I would find it hard to differentiate among the them.

Surely there's a contradiction in terms involved there. Smile

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
From the site referenced by Bob:
quote:
Little did I know I would be in the middle of BFE.
Looking up "BFE" on the Net gives various meanings, but by the context it seems to be short for "bum-fuck Egypt". Wikipedia shows that that phrase means "the middle of nowhere". How I wonder did that come about? Red Face

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
BFE

Sounds like East Bumblefuck, at least on this side of the Atlantic. Podunk is, perhaps, a more polite form.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was particularly taken with this quote, which may amuse or irritate Richard.

If you read the previous sentence in the review, you will understand why the reviewer was unable to distinguish between CCA and Dudweiser. It was:

"...It pours a straw-colored-yellow, kinda like urine or any domestic light beer, you take your pick..."

If it tasted as it looked, no more need be said.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looking up "BFE" on the Net gives various meanings, but by the context it seems to be short for "bum-fuck Egypt". Wikipedia shows that that phrase means "the middle of nowhere". How I wonder did that come about?

BFE is new to me, but I've heard people say "bum-fuck-nowhere", meaning middle of nowhere. I've also heard "butt monkey" before, but I have no idea of it's origins. I wonder if Buffy writers coined the phrase?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I thought I'd seen every Buffy episode ever made, and in fact, I have seen that one, but I didn't remember the term "butt monkey." I guess I just took it as a Whedonism and didn't let it register.

Also, I've heard the terms "East Bumfuck" and "East Jesus" but not "East Bumblefuck." When I lived in Upstate New York, East Bumfuck was somewhere between Wet Windshield (my husband's name for West Winfield) and East Jesus.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wordmatic:
I thought I'd seen every Buffy episode ever made,

Did you know that Joss Whedon is producing an official, canonical Season Eight but in comic book form?

I've read the compilation of the first few issues and don't rate it all that highly. If you want to get an idea of what it's all about you can look here.

(Includes complete plot descriptions)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,